Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Using a Lyric Honeywell with a 2 pipe vacuum system. How many CPH should I set?

We have a wonderful cadillac of a two pipe vacuum system with a boiler Capitol boiler from the '50s. All insulation was removed before we bought the house (which needs to be addressed pronto). I've had the boiler cleaned, its filling properly and heating very well despite the lack of insulation. Just installed a Lyric Therm. and its working well. The Pressuretrol is set at .5 and 1psi. which seems to get the heat to each radiator on two floors. Could someone advise what to set the CPH at for this type of system for a large home??? Any advise on conversion to propane or a modern more efficient oil furnace would also be very much appreciated . Thanks

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    For steam the rule of thumb is to set the CPH to 1. This gives longer run times and lets the steam do it's work. Results may vary though. Some run a CPH of 2 or even 3. It all depends on your system, size, how fast it reacts etc. If you currently have no insulation I would suggest using 1 since your system will probably be a little slow with all the condensing going on in the basement pipes.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    I would try 1 CPH first, and then 2.
    If you were operating the system at a couple of ounces, then 2 CPH would probably be best.
    As far as efficiency of modern oil burner boilers, the Burnham Megasteam is thought to be the best, but the efficiency difference may not justify the cost of a new boiler, so best to wait until replacement time of the old one (if that ever comes!).
    A vaporstat would enable the pressure to be lower, and that might save some fuel, as long as the venting is generous.--NBC
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Ditto for the megasteam! It's a three-pass boiler with a lifetime guarantee. If I had oil there would be no second thought. It's superior by design with a rated eff of 86%. However, I wouldn't consider switching out until you have to. When that time eventually comes, post your edr here and be sure to vet any proposed installs through this site BEFORE hand. Welcome. I'd love to hear more about your system. Get that insulation on at least 1 ".
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • VacuumNewbee
    VacuumNewbee Member Posts: 3
    Thanks all very much for the feedback on CPH and the Megasteam. I'd read great things re this boiler but good to have its rep. confirmed here. I will set the Lyric CPH at 1 and report back on progress. What are your thoughts on a propane conversion. With oil prices down - propane seems $$. We are in the Catskills NY. Propane is the only alternative to oil. Are the savings likely to be worth it with a properly insulated vacuum system??v Thanks all.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited January 2015
    As another vaporvacuum person I'd love to hear about your system and see some pics.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    In New England the cost of propane has been the same or more than that of oil on a BTU basis. As i understand it, to get a good price on propane you have to own your own tank (a large one at that) and you have to fill it during the summer when the price plummets to get the best price.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge