Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slant fin intrepid TR 30 boiler

Options
LPM
LPM Member Posts: 3
Slant fin steam boiler piping to manufacture specifications have a TR 30 boiler was piped with 2" header and 1"1/4 Hartford loop
I had surging and priming problems boiler was flooding
I read the slant fin TR 30 installation manual
And piped to manufacture specifications
3" steam header and 1"1/2 Hartford loop
Flushed and skim no more problems boiler working great
When talked to slant fin Rep (Perry)
I was told that good no more problems
But the header should be 2"1/2 and the Hartford loop 2"
Look at slant fin piping installation manual
It shows 3" header and 1"1/2 loop
I was told it could be a misprint
And would get back to me
If it's is an error shame on slant fin

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Is this gas or oil? They have different specs depending. I always spoke to the technical support. I don't see a problem exceeding the minimum requirements; It can only help as you see.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • LPM
    Options
    It's Oil boiler
  • LPM
    Options
    slant fin piping installation manual
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The header has to be at least as large as the risers so with the recommended 3" riser you need AT LEAST a 3" header. I don't see how that can be wrong...they're very picky about their piping and wouldn't recommend downsizing the header from the riser. On my install of TR50s I used a 4" header. I think my HL is 2", but only because I kept and reused the original 2" iron piping. Their separate venting pdf is wrong, in that it's for the Galaxy atmospherics and not the Intrepids. I pointed it out last year...they agreed, but I see they haven't changed it. It's correct in the install manual.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF