Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Furnace & Broken Radiators

jlr329
jlr329 Member Posts: 2
I have a property that needed a new oil burning furnace in the basement. When the installer let pressure into the system, he said 4 of the 7 radiators have cracks and/or are leaking. This is all new to me and I'm looking on here to find out what the right questions to ask. He suggested replacing the radiators with baseboard heating and replacing all of the existing black pipe with $cop$per$. I wasn't prepared to replace the furnace, and now we're about to rack up another few thousand in replacing broken radiators. What is the next step? I found a person on-line who is selling working radiators, but I'll have to measure them to ensure the proper fit. How do I measure them? What should I look for? I need all the help I can get because this is more than I bargained for this winter.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Is this a steam or hot water system?
  • jlr329
    jlr329 Member Posts: 2
    Hot water.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Had a job with leaking radiator. Turned out that there was not effective air compression tank and someone had put a plug in the pressure relief valve. After everything corrected the leak went away. Was the system ever frozen or subject to really high pressure (over 30 PSI)?
    Rad valves can leak and are an easy fix or replace.