Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating boiler

Options
Tolik
Tolik Member Posts: 85
In searching for pipe insulation i came across this product: Roxul Enerwrap 80

http://buyinsulationproducts.com/roxul-enerwrap-80-flexible-blanket.html

It seems like my boiler is poorly insulated. The metal jacket is very warm, I wouldn't say hot, to the touch. Does it make sence to insulate it further or its just a waste of money and effort?

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    My new boilers are cool to the touch. People in old posts have done the same and an old WM pamphlet I have on increasing efficiencies suggests just that, as well. Standby losses can really add up on atmospheric boilers. If the price is right and the product is spec'd for high temp, what's the downside? Just mho as a homeowner.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I insulated the old Burnham v75 and my current Smith G8-3 with unfaced fiberglass between the boiler block and the cabinet. I find it retains heat longer so it seems rto be step in the right direction.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Steam
    Steam Member Posts: 45
    Options
    You can look at DS industries or Fiberfrax for ceramic fiberblanket. Get the fiberglass or even cotton cloth, mastic, and the perforated clips along with some high temp adhesive to place the clips along the boiler.

Attach the clips, hang the fiberglass roll nice and tight against each other. You can use a boning knife to make cuts. Put the cap on the pin and press down on the fiberglass. Then then it's on there, bend a little and snip.

You can lay out the cloth, and cut where you need, paste it up some and lay it over the fiberblanket. Form to where you need it, use more mastic, and spread it around with your hands. How it comes out, depends on your skill level, and care.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF