Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not getting enough heat - hot water radiators

Options
2»

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    Here is the pic I was trying to post before. This manifold has 12 takeoffs. You can have as many or as few as you please or desire.

This is all 3/8 tubing
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • josieT
    josieT Member Posts: 53
    Options
    That's beautiful! Wish mine looked like that!
    GW
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    That's my favorite design right there. Very clean, Gary!
    Steve Minnich
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    Thanks, my guys are good sports about my sometimes picky piping practices. I've been in the plumbing trenches since the early 80s, I simply have opinions on how pipes should be intalled. It can be argued that it doesn't take much longer to do a neat and clean install versus a real dog. I've seen guys use diamond plate for walls....way too much work for me, but to each their own as they
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I think it's harder to do something poorly than it is to do it properly. I used diamond plate a couple of times but no more unless someone actually demands it...which has yet to happen.
    Steve Minnich
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Rich said:

Maybe electricians should have more knowledge of what they are moving , you know like us . Most electricians do not posses th level of know;ledge that we have and just pull wire . We regularly do things that are well beyond code where they just meet code . We know that code is the very worst job we can install without some inspector having to fail us . They think code is the best job they can do .
    We size our systems so that when all is calling no other circuit suffers and we can seemlessly deliver comfort . They obviously have not perfected that level of design capability .

Sounds like you too just tell sparky to wire it up. Then, you'll fix what needs to be fixed.

I found in Massachusetts, when they increased the time of apprenticeship and theory classes, and then the annual CEO's, the skill level went way up. Its hard to find a electrician that is just a wire puller.

Most of all the guys and gals really knew their ships in the fleets. Especially the low voltage and alarm ships.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    You hear alot of stuff that nobody says Ice . I determined a long time ago that electricians around here and in most places don't do boilers and the like well . No Sir , I wire all my own stuff .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • josieT
    josieT Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Can my system be redone to look like the posted? I contacted a contractor in the 'Find the Contractor' section and without even seeing any pictures he said my system has a lot of issues. He implied he would probably scrap it and start over. In fact his consult fee went up 3x from what is secretary told me after I described my situation. He was criticizing the use of sunrads saying I am heating the wall. I realize that being recessed, there's less heat to emit to the room but these rads have been around forever. I can't imagine the situation is so dire.

But I have to figure out whether the heating system has to be scrapped. If so, I'll likely have to sell the house (at a huge loss since I just bought it) as I can't afford to start over.

Josie
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Josie , Contact me with a PM and / or call my line listed under my posts .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Rich said:

You hear alot of stuff that nobody says Ice . I determined a long time ago that electricians around here and in most places don't do boilers and the like well . No Sir , I wire all my own stuff .

The only thing I/we can legally wire are replacement oil burners. Nothing else. Without engaging the wrath of the sparking God's.

Once they've wired them up, you can do what you like. Some Sparky's like doing this stuff. Its a challenge. The electrical code changes all the time. Maybe I was spoiled. Every year or two, Massachusetts Sparky's had to do a CEU on code revisions to keep their licenses. It kept them on top of the game. It was so successful that they are doing it with most professional licenses.

Where I worked, they had to be multi-talented. Dud's didn't survive.

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Most residential electricians don't understand controls. Most industrial electricians do. Commercial is all over the map. None of our licensing really covers it.