Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Banging pipes, some radiators not working help I need to replace a knucklehead heating guy

Options
I have a 100year old big wonderful house with an oil boiler & a 2 pipe steam system . Initially I had fog horn noises, then hammering pipe noises . Some of the radiators are not working .( we have 40)
I called in a heating guy who said we needed to put in new valves in all the radiators(which still had their original valves) & new release valves in the basement. When this did not solve the problem he said we needed to replace all the basement pipes as they were clogged with rust . He said we needed to replace them with copper pipes. I was skeptical & ordered your wonderful book "We got Steam heat a homeowners guide to a peaceful coexistence" Wow lucky I did not do what the knucklehead suggested .
How do I find someone good to help unclog the pipes & we also need to insulate the basement pipes.
Dan thanks for the well written, educational & entertaining book it was a real page turner

Comments

• bigoldhouse
    bigoldhouse Member Posts: 5
    Options
    We are in pennsylvania only 2 contractors neither seemed appropriate
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    it is unlikely that those pipes are clogged with rust, but the system does need help. some can be done by you, under the guidance of a steam pro, or advice from here.
    post some pictures of the boiler, and its piping.--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    What part of PA and how far out did you go? Don't be afraid to do a fairly wide search a lot of the steam guys will travel. I am in PA also and one of the best in the country is in MD about an hour from me.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • bigoldhouse
    Options
    Merion Station next to Philadelphia . How do you know who to pick & who specializes in old houses
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    @Jstar do you travel that far? One of the best in the country just not sure if he goes that far or not. He should see the tag and let you know.
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/thatcher-heating-and-air-conditioning
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    If they specialize in steam, they know old houses.I believe Jstar services Philly...there is someone else, too, but the name eludes me. Do you happen to have those old valves? They may give a hint to your system. Please post some pics of both your rads and near boiler piping from a distance. Ask to see pics of any prospective company's work and post it here. It's easy to spt a quality install.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    I'm still trying to imagine what caused the foghorn noises-probably failed traps.
    Remember that the returns have been washed constantly with distilled, deoxygenated water, so the likelihood of clogging with rust is very remote.
    Do you have any simple mechanical skills (it doesn't take much)?
    I would put a low pressure gauge on a tee with the pressuretrol, as the first step, followed by feeling the output of all the radiator and crossover traps for hot discharge. With the gauge, you could get the pressure down to the ounces of pressure needed for even economical, comfortable operation.
    In the case of water hammer, a simple magnetic level will show you and sagging pipes. These examinations of the system are actually fun, and will save time for the steam pro who comes to your aid.--NBC
  • bigoldhouse
    Options
    1st picture shows original valve . 2nd picture shows new valves he put in. 3rd picture piping to boiler 4th picture boiler.
    Thanks for the input
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    @‌bigoldhouse

I sent you a private message, but posting here if you didn't see it.