Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1930's American Standard Boiler

Options
mike_s_82
mike_s_82 Member Posts: 3
I have a 1930's era American Standard boiler that was oil fired, then converted to natural gas in 1981 (when my daya bought the house) with the use of an Economite gas burner. I can not find any model number of any kind on the boiler. It is used in a forced air house with a radiator in the main duct. I think it is running about 300K BTU. The radiator and duct is about 4' x 6'. I would like to find some information on it. I do not know if these can be rebuilt if gaskets fail. So far it seems to run good.

I have a instruction sheet that whoever installed it wrote up, and they say to keep it at 170-180 degrees. I keet it around 160 right now. The temperature gauge is original, so I don't trust it too much. I added the clamp on temp gauges on the copper pipes by the radiator to see the input and output temps.

The TPR is rated for 50psi. I think it is original and didn't want to mess with it, so I added a 30psi over pressure valve on the fill line, I put on a new pressure regulator and check valve as well this year.

There were 2 of these in the house. One was only used solely for the recirculating domestic hot water, but it was removed and a traditional hot water heater installed.

It has (2) inlets and (2) outlets that are 3" piping, and a B&G 3" recirc pump. There is also (2) remote radiators in the house which are disconnected now but I might hook back up later on when I have time to inspect them. I think it is a 10" exhaust, but never measured it. It is big.

Any help would be great. I have read the general boiler maintenance procedures. I do not plan to do anything risky to it during the heating season.

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Not sure I noticed a question in your post. What do you need help on?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I'm with you on that Abra, I did notice that the pressure gauge reads zero.
  • mike_s_82
    Options
    The question was kinda in there. I am looking for information on the boiler itself. I expect the pressure gauge is bad. I added one to the refill line that stays at 12 psi.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    First, that boiler is early to mid 60's
  • Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    Very common boiler in my area.......what do you want to know about it?? The skin comes off and access to clean the hx passages (fire side) is on the top. If the burner is adjusted correctly there should be no need to touch it for a long time. When it does get serviced (professionally) you need a technician that has a combustion analyzer. Until that boielr starts leaking.....there will be no need to replace it......they are workhorses.
  • mike_s_82
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you have a mnaual, model or anything I can research it? I would be interested in knowing what the capacity of it is. Is there any specs on teperature range or how to maintain it other than what you said? I know there are 2 side covers that come off, but I haven't taken them off yet to see what is inside.

Thanks for the help. And where are you that you still see these?