Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What fitting to use coming off boiler?

I have a Burnham IN5 boiler with two 2" outlets, only one is being used. I want to use both outlets and raise up 3', offset a few inches, then drop 2' to a 3" header. I was going to use unions right at the boiler to extend my pipes up, and then again at the header, for ease of assembly. But I have seen unions, couplings, and companion flanges used right at the boiler to connect to the piping. What is best to use? And is a few inches offset enough? I want to avoid stressing the boiler sections at all costs!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Any of those will work. I have flange joints on mine but it seems most are using unions now. Couplings can be used to extend the risers but are not convenient if/when you need to take things apart at some later time.
    Use 90 degree elbows at the top of your boiler risers and at the point where you turn down to go into your drop header. Those are your swing joints that relieve stress on your boiler block.
  • Oldslowandugly
    Oldslowandugly Member Posts: 37
    Thank's Fred. That was my intent, ease of assembly/dis-assembly. I only have room for 3" or 4" nipples between the elbows, is that enough? And how do swing joints work? Do they unscrew under stress, or just "give"?
  • wmtandson
    wmtandson Member Posts: 62
    Good advise .
    Do manufacturers suggest drop Headers?
    I dont believe so ,but why
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    If you have 3" or 4" after screwing the elbows on that should be fine. Those elbows just flex to provide relieve stress on the boiler sections. In reality they probably do "Swing" back and forth on the threads but it is so minuscule you can't see movement. You want them good and tight when you build your header so they don't leak. Don't try to allowi for swing. That will take care of itself.
  • Oldslowandugly
    That is my goal- a super dry steam boiler. I will re-do all the near boiler piping as space permits. Many thanks to all who responded!
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    @wmtandson, some manufacturers give good, better and best install suggestions and use the drop header as a "best" practice. It was REQUIRED on my Slantfin Intrepid install, but they seem to really put a lot into their install manual and technical advice. I had a few potential installers want to by-pass using it, but they were shown the door. Eventually, I did it myself with help. Colleen
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Oldslowandugly
    edited January 2015
    My Burnham installation manual has the same exact drawing Dan used in his Lost Art book. It shows 2 risers, with offsets, a header, and the mains taken off after the last riser and before the equalizer. His captions were "manufacturers specs" and "how it went in"- mine is the "how it went in". DOH! Thus, out come the wrenches.