Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

y strainer

Options
bubbad
bubbad Member Posts: 15
does the basket face up toward vent or downard toward return

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    posting same question twice is not necessary. strainers have a direction.. inlet/outlet that you need to adhere to.
  • wmtandson
    wmtandson Member Posts: 62
    Options
    arrow points in direction of flow
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I don't think that you worded your question correctly? I don't believe that there is any up or down requirement, just install it so that it can be serviced easily. Up down or sideways, the basket is going to catch what its going to catch.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,072
    Options
    On the Supply House site under Plumbing/Strainers they have manf. specs. I read some of this because I use these ahead of steam main air vents. The recommended position is horizontal flow with the clean out plug down. I use a nipple/cap for the plug and can check or clean with a small nylon bottle brush without removing the entire screen which sometimes has a one time gasket on the large plug.
    The debris will collect in the bottom of the screen leaving the upper portion clean as long as possible.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,218
    Options
    Yeah, screen down makes sense for ease of cleaning, let gravity help clean them out.

Also they are available in a wide choice of mesh sizes. To fine of a mesh and they plug often on old iron pipe type installs. Too coarse and they don't protect critical, tight tolerance devices like balance valves, etc. the mesh size refers to the number of holes per lineal inch of the screen. 20 mesh has larger holes, 40 or 60 mesh smaller holes more of them.

Having worked around them now for 7 years I can honestly say dirt separators are a better choice for hydronic. They don't plug and reduce flow as strainers do, from the minute they are installed, and they grab and separate a much smaller particle.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bubbad
    bubbad Member Posts: 15
    Options
    installed insulation yesterday,the self stick won't stay stuck,cheap insulation or is there a trick otherwise I guess i'll tape it,tried to break union loose to install main vent, no luck,dont want to break anything now(too cold)I guess i'll have to wait for summer and break cast fittings,i'll have to install new pipe and fittings,tried pb heat and 2' cheater any suggestions