Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Strange condensate piping

Henry
Henry Member Posts: 998
I went to see a problem and found many problems in a very expensive old condo. It used to be a vacuum system. Some brain removed the vacuum system and installed a regular condensate tank with pumps. There are two 3.5 milliopn BTU Burnham boilers controlled by a Tekmar single stage controller with several relays, outdor aditional outdoor temperature sensor so when it gets beowo -14C, both boiler function. The brain replaced the F&T trap on the headder with a a thermostatic one and created a water leg. He also did this at two other locations in the garage.imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I guess it would bee too much work to return it to a vacuum system? What gets into people?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Off topic perhaps, but what the heck is that grey PVC hairball in photo #2?
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    SWEI said:

Off topic perhaps, but what the heck is that grey PVC hairball in photo #2?

Great question! It appears to go into something made exclusively of Fernco and No-hub couplings with a CPVC trap?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    I was not looking at the PVC DWV piping. My first reaction was to check out the strange water legs and the use of thermostatic steam traps. The header requires 880 # per hour steam trap at 2 PSI, while the thermostatic trap can only provide 220 #. Both the water leg and trap cannot eliminate CO2 or upon steam production, air. Therefore, the numbnut has created a large water hammer. Notice also in the last picture, he lowered the return line causing now a wet return blocking off air and try's to use a water leg to get the condensate into the gravity return while using a trap to eliminate air. A tiny bit of knowledge can be a very detrimental and expensive experience. This will end up in court.