Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mega Steam 513 update

I worked on my combustion efficiency with some success - and I'm taking a break.
Over the last few days, I've gotten some help from the "Oil Heat" threads, and have ended up with the following readings: stack temp 395-65= 330; smoke at about 0.05 band, and opened back up to about 1-1.5; and tonight, my CO2 reading was 12.
So I know I will close the air until I get trace smoke and above 13 CO2.

I am concerned about the draft, though. I get -0.05 at the breach, and +0.05 over the fire. I can manually close it as far as possible to get -0.08 at the breach and +0.02 over the fire, but that is as far as it goes. If I want it any tighter, I'd have to seal off the barometric regulator (which I can do temporarily for a test).

I know the MegaSteam is designed with the baffles to slow everything down in the boiler itself (so it almost appears like a plugged boiler), and the AGFs get funky in positive pressure - so I'm trying to decide if I should either 1) adjust for just negative draft over the fire regardless of how high it goes at the breech, or 2) close the regulator to bring it as close to zero as possible, or 3) take the baffles out.

Anyone with experience with these know?

Thanks
Jake

There was an error rendering this rich post.