Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How long for oil from new piping to wash into boiler?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
I installed some new piping in the fall and have been waiting to do a skim and washing. I just want to be sure everything has made it's way back to the boiler before I do it.

Does anyone have a general idea of how long it takes new piping to get cleaned by steam? Are we talking still oily after a month, or rusty within a day? Today is the last warm day before a pretty cold week so I'm thinking it's the perfect time. I've had pretty short (3-6 minutes) run times most of this season and only a few 10+ minute ones recently due to running 2 CPH.

Just not sure if I should go full blown multiple skims plus a wand cleaning, or just a quick skim for now just in case there is more in the system? I'm thinking if anything, our 15F ambient a few days ago would've given everything a good cleaning and time for stuff to get to the boiler.

All thoughts are welcome!
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ChrisJ
    The piping I did just to give an idea.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ

Some people are still skimming after three months................ :s

Beautiful workmanship, BTW.

LionA29njtommy
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Lol, keep skimming
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    The oil actually didn't end up being near as bad as I expected.

I have been having issues with the one pipe rubbing on the baseboard though, I knew that was going to happen. I've had a milk bottle shim in there for right now but I need a better solution.
  • The oils from the new piping are probably floating on top of the waterline of the wet return, and will not get into the boiler itself, as the water velocity is low there.--NBC
  • ChrisJ

The oils from the new piping are probably floating on top of the waterline of the wet return, and will not get into the boiler itself, as the water velocity is low there.--NBC

Sometimes I think some of you purposely try to upset me.
    I really do.

;)
  • I only suggested that because of my thoughts on the auto-skimmer.
    If the oils are trapped there, and not in the boiler itself, then I would think there is no cause for worry.--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,183
    ChrisJ, you had commented that your Monitor tops had a oil separator as part of the refrigeration system/circuit. Could you expound on how it works. Auto oil skimming has been of interest to Nicholas.
  • ChrisJ
    Mineral oil is lighter than methyl formate so it floats on top of the refrigerant. GE built a skimmer which is an upside down copper cup. The top of the cup is open to suck up vapor and down a little bit are two holes, one on each side which skim oil off of the top of the refrigerant.

The skimmer is located between two baffles to create a "quiet zone".

Here it is in real life. The dirt is just metal dust stuck to oil film.

• Of course, in the case of refrigeration examples, the oil needs to stay in the system to lubricate the compressor, unlike the steam boiler, where oil and "air is the enemy, to be chased away like the raccoons from the garbage cans". This was someone's great statement on here years ago.--NBC
  • ChrisJ

Of course, in the case of refrigeration examples, the oil needs to stay in the system to lubricate the compressor, unlike the steam boiler, where oil and "air is the enemy, to be chased away like the raccoons from the garbage cans". This was someone's great statement on here years ago.--NBC

Slightly different though.
    In the case of a monitor top, very little oil leaves the compressor dome as it's not miscible with the refrigerant. However, some does leave, I guess as a vapor or mist and it accumulates in the evaporator over time floating on top of the refrigerant. It must be skimmed off and brought back to the compressor housing where it belongs.

Early 1927 monitor tops didn't have a skimmer and GE didn't even realize there was a problem until I believe several thousand machines were in use for some time. The solution for these units was to defrost them using a pot of hot water as discovered by Fleeta Hoke by accident. GE came up with a better solution shortly after which was to add more refrigerant to those machines, and add a skimmer setup to all future ones.

So, if you're ever on a game show and they ask who was the first person ever to defrost a refrigerator using a pot of hot water, you now know the answer. :)
  • JimmyNJ
    JimmyNJ Member Posts: 107
    Chris - where did you find the little rubber cups for the radiator feet? (at least from the picture they look like rubber).
  • ChrisJ
    JimmyNJ said:

Chris - where did you find the little rubber cups for the radiator feet? (at least from the picture they look like rubber).

They're very similar to these.
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3652689

I originally put them on there because I had to slide the radiator over to paint behind it at a later date, but they didn't hurt anything so I just left them there.

Comes in handy if you need to slide the radiator around and it protects the floor in general.

I ended up buying two sizes, one like the ones in the picture, and the other larger for another radiator with bigger feet, those don't fit as good, but close enough.
  • JimmyNJ
    JimmyNJ Member Posts: 107
    Cool - thanks for the link.
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 286
    Squick is a standard product we use with every replacement steam boiler. It does a great job of preventing call backs where water quality is concerned. Between the old piping and new oils it does the trick especially when you do the follow up flush after running a few days. Like any additive, make sure the boiler is ok with it.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,895
    Anytime I repipe an steam system I keep an bucket of water and detergent handy . I wash the fittings and nipples before installing ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

BobC
  • ChrisJ
    I had considered washing the pipe and fittings, and decided the boiler would do it for me. Was just too time consuming to try and figure out how to wash out a 10' length of 1" pipe.

A good washing with a wand and 5 gallons of hot skimming = a clean happy boiler.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,895
    I dip the ends of the pipe in the bucket to wash off the cutting oil.. Less is more ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Big Ed said:

I dip the ends of the pipe in the bucket to wash off the cutting oil.. Less is more ....

Same... I then run a rag thru the pipe with a piece of 3/4"

Every little bit of oil you can remove before you skim, means less time skimming.
  • ChrisJ
    Fascinating.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    Time is money so it makes sense to get the oil off before it gets in the boiler.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    BobC said:

Time is money so it makes sense to get the oil off before it gets in the boiler.

Bob

Yeah,
    And yet for me it was quicker to let the boiler do it. Washing pipe takes effort and time. Skimming, I can go take a nap. ;)

*shrug*
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    As a homeowner your time is your own, if your paying someone you might prefer he does something that is billable.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge