Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

single pipe steam gas fored heat

nocab
nocab Member Posts: 3
I have 2 radiators on the same pipe that don't heat up , these are closest to my boiler , If I remove the valves I get air but they do not heat up .

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    If neither radiator gets how without the air valves on them I would suspect a pitch problem with the pipe feeding the radiators. Check the pitch of the pipe from the point it leaves the main to be sure it all has pitch so water can find it's way back to that main; also check there are no dips in any of the piping that might pool water.

Pipes that supply radiators have to be sized for the size (sq ft of surface area - EDR) of the radiators they feed. What is the diameter of the pipe and what is the EDR of those two radiators.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    You're not giving us much info to go on here. Is it a single pipe steam system (1 pipe to each radiator with a vent on the opposite side of the radiator?
    Is there some slope in the pipe (in the basement) that feeds those two radiators (back towards the Main pipe)?
    Do you hear any banging in that pipe or water gurgling?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,121
    What vents are on all of your radiators, mains and please post some pictures of the piping going to the radiators as well as the piping around the boiler.

The more pictures the better.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • nocab
    1 pipe feeds both radiators , can't see much they are on the 2nd floor almost back to back . They both have USAV 884 vents adjustable kind . These radiators are almost a straight shot up from the basement .
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    There could be a problem with a horizontal pipe in the ceiling of the first floor. Would it be possible to raise one radiator by say 1/2"? Make sure you raise both ends of the radiator. See if this makes any differrnce.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nocab
    Something to try , anything at this point . Thanks all for the help .
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Are there other radiators on the Main that supplies these radiators? Are they heating Ok?