Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaky supply vent

Skindel
Skindel Member Posts: 14
I have a steam radiator that is problematic in many ways. It is in my bedroom and rests on the front porch ceiling right inside a bay window. The flooring has sunk and the pipes must be cold and uninsulated, but hard to access since the floor is 100+ year tongue and groove. I can't turn the heat on at night because the water hammer wakes me up. Now the input valve is leaking. Is that an easy fix? Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement if repacking doesn't work? I haven't been able to find any steam heating repair people in my area: Stonington, CT.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    See if you can verify your pressure to be less than 2 psi, and put a low pressure gauge on next to the existing gauge, to keep things honest for the future. Your pigtail may have become plugged, and therefore allowing the pressuretrol not to see the pressure.
    Repacking the valve should always work, except when your pressure is too high.--NBC
  • Skindel
    According to the gauge on the boiler, it's at 1.5 PSI. I repacked the intake valve, but the top screw is stripped. Is replacing the intake valve a smart idea? Is it hard to find replacements?
  • wmtandson
    wmtandson Member Posts: 62
    Someone with the right tools can do it easily.
    I,ve learned how to do it on Hot water radiators that need valves or have one valve thats bad.
    it takes patients and care so as to not disrupt the rest of the piping
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    it can be a chore, because the spud into the radiator will have to be changed as it is matched to the valve.
    perhaps there is too much packing string under the packing nut, preventing the nut from engaging the threads.--NBC
  • Skindel
    Thanks! Repacking seems to have fixed the leak. I'm going to try raising the radiator this week and see if that lessens the hammer. I'll probably have to put 3" blocks under each leg.