Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water line + LWCO

joe7
joe7 Member Posts: 15
We have a retentively new gas boiler for my 1 pipe steam heat system. It’s a 250,000btu Weil-McLain

I read the boiler manual were it says that the water line should be 23 3/16” from the bottom.

My boiler has 2 LWCO’s. 1) Series 67 float-type installed near the sight glass. 2) Probe Type LWCO installed on the Hartford Loop.

I have a question and a problem: (see attached pics)

Question: I’m no expert, but it seems that the higher, float type LWCO is installed right at the “water line”. The starting point of the water – as seen on the sight glass – begins about an inch ABOVE the water line. (Being that the LWCO is at the water line, the water will never go low…). Is this a problem for optimal steam efficiency? In other works: is it ok for the boiler to operate on a regular basis with water higher the recommended water line?
(also, when I perform the weekly “blow down” on the series 67, it automatically shuts down the boiler and usually calls for more water… since the cut-off level seems to be close the water line)

Problem: the lower, probe-type LWCO shuts itself down very often and I need to press the reset button. I don’t understand why this happens. I have never seen the water on sight glass lower then about half… what can possibly be the problem?

Thanks. Happy new year!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    First off, that McDonnell Miller #67 is not suppose to be up on that elbow off of the sight glass plumbing. The Tee on that plumbing should be turned sideways and the brass nipple is a straight shot into the #67 and puts you Low water level at about a quarter to a third the way up the glass. They obviously cut the LWCO vent pipe to make it fit so that will need to be replaced.

The LWCO on the Hartford Loop is worthless mounted there. All that will tell you is that the water level in the loop is low, which may be the result of normal boiler operation/pressure. That needs to be moved to a tapping on the boiler at about the level of the relocated (lowered) #67.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Why not put the probe LWCO in the tapping that Weil Mclain says to put it in? For some reason the installer put a pipe and valve into the LWCO tapping and honestly I can't figure any reason to have installed the pipe and valve?! In your pictures it's the pipe to the left of the sight glass.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Fred
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    KC_Jones said:

Why not put the probe LWCO in the tapping that Weil Mclain says to put it in? For some reason the installer put a pipe and valve into the LWCO tapping and honestly I can't figure any reason to have installed the pipe and valve?! In your pictures it's the pipe to the left of the sight glass.

Makes total sense to me.

• KC_Jones
    Skim port is directly above the float LWCO in the picture.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    Install 2 skim ports?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40