Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Using hot water radiator on one pipe steam system?

Options
lancia
lancia Member Posts: 21
Hello

Just bought a house for radiators and they are a first for me. One cast iron radiator was cracked and broken so I had it replaced by a plumber/heating company.

I just read Dans book and after reading it I realized that one they never measure anything to make sure the size of radiator was good for room size but I also noticed they used what looks like a hot water radiator for a one pipe steam heat system that I have. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to use that radiator on my system or should I call them and have it replaced?

That radiator only seems to get hot at the top where the other old cast iron gets on top and bottom of the columns. Wasn't sure if that was correct

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    that should work fine on steam.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • lancia
    Options
    Thank you
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The radiator is fine for use with Steam but it looks like it may be tilted away from the suppy pipe (Maybe it is just the angle of the picture)??? Make sure the radiator has a slight pitch bak towards the steam inlet pipe so the condensate can return to the boiler. If it is actually pithed the wrong way, that will affect how (or even if) it will heat.
  • lancia
    Options
    Thanks Fred.

It should be tilted towards the supply pipe ( the plumbers told me they did it) but I need to check it again to make sure as I have realized some are not in the house.