Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermal imaging cameras

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
Just wondering what you guys are using have been contemplating buying one forever.
I just picked up two of the FLIR attachments for iPhone five or later
They are a fraction of the price, just looking for some opinions, or what is the real difference.
I was looking for something to use for checking steam traps, general heating work and possibly some energy auditing.

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I have the Seek Thermal camera for my SGS5. Very happy with it so far for steam work and locating air leaks.
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    I used a fluke to verify somebody radiant floor piping layout. Worked like a charm. My only complaint was the resolution was low. It wasn't an issues while using the tool. It was an issues reviewing the photos months later - it was hard to figure out what picture was what with the low resolution and limited field of view of the photos.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The main complaint I hear is guys buy to inexpensive of a model and are not happy with the pic quality. Flir has rebuilt specials, same warranty, on their website.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43
    This is a picture taken with a Flir camera. We do not own the camera but you can atleast see the quality of a Flir camera. The boiler is a Lochinvar with owner installed radiant in the floor.
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    Steve said:

Just wondering what you guys are using have been contemplating buying one forever.
    I just picked up two of the FLIR attachments for iPhone five or later
    They are a fraction of the price, just looking for some opinions, or what is the real difference.
    I was looking for something to use for checking steam traps, general heating work and possibly some energy auditing.

If you have a chance, post some pics.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Mike I love that pic. I just find it interesting...
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    I have a flir and a milwaukee, both are good, but for steam work..overall i like the flir better and when its time to outfit another guy with one it will be another flir.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I use a Flir i7. I've got the iPhone attachment, too, but the i7 offers far more flexibility with locking in a temperature measurement range and different palettes of colors, emissivity corrections, etc.
    Once you master the Flir One (for iPhone), which is MUCH better than nothing, you will see the need for more will present itself.
    That's what Flir is banking on by selling that one so cheap ($300).
    My i7 was $3,000.00 and if I had more features, I'd use them.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    The i7 has 140 x 140 resolution, roughly comparable to the current E6, which has 160 x 120. Thanks to the link I posted above, Flir has knocked $2,000 off the list price of the E8.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    @ JohnNY...is it possible to share pics from the iPhone app?
    Steve Minnich
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    This is the only one I could find on my hard drive. I like the new technology that puts an outline on everything.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Steve_210
    I just took pace I'm already beginning to see the need for the more expensive camera
  • Steve_210
    These
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Thanks guys.
    Steve Minnich
  • Steve_210
    These are so more I took with the phone attachment
    This is a job we done a few years back with warm board
    I know the resolution is low but for the money it's a really nice device