Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I need a valve to stop the flow of water if I have a line break.

memphishouseman Member Posts: 2
edited December 2014 in Thermostats and Controls
Is there a control valve that will shut off the flow of hot water between my home boiler and the zone heating unit if there is a break in the line resulting in a drop in line pressure?


  • memphishouseman
    memphishouseman Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information. I recently had a 1.5" Plex connector break and it almost caused my house to flood. The pumps kept pumping hot water and it as almost a disaster! I am looking to add some safety devices. Thanks again!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I'd be wondering why a 1 1/2" PEC connector broke.

    If the fill valve to the system was turned off, it wouldn't be draining out.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    its for this reason Ice i am now leaving my fill valves closed.Again I learned the hard way
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I still want to know why a 1 1/2" PEX fitting broke. Was it under torque stress? Was there not enough room for expansion?

    Its a fine idea to leave the fill valve off, as long as the boiler has a LWCO and alarm, and is piped properly to not let the boiler water all drain out. I'd be figuring out why it broke. Its highly unusual for a PEX fitting of that size to break. There had to be a contributing cause.

  • Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
    I've seen several safety devices designed to stop major flooding once water is senced at predetermined locations. Neptune, Flood Stop, Quisp. Not cheap, but sound interesting.
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 266
    We've been using Axiom glycol feeders whenever we put glycol in a system. Might not be a bad idea on straight water systems either?