Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should I Consider A Buffer Tank?

Options
JustinS
JustinS Member Posts: 259
I have the following radiation (Haydon Heat-Base 750, I believe) on my three zones for my 2200 sq ft home with a Triangle Tube Prestige Solo 110 boiler...

1st floor - ~39 ft plus kickspace heater => ~26600 BTU/hr
Master BD - ~25 ft for ~45% of upstairs => ~14500 BTU/hr
2nd floor balance - ~25ft for ~55% of upstairs => ~14500 BTU/hr

I'm getting ready to re-pipe so that the boiler is done primary/secondary but as I was reading about buffer tanks, I started wondering if perhaps I should be considering a buffer tank... since two of my zones individually are a smaller load than my boiler's minimum output (1st Floor's pretty close to it), it seems that I will likely continue to short-cycle to some degree even after re-piping...

I've been given estimates for both the simple re-piping and the buffer tank - 30 gal boiler buddy is ~3x just the re-pipe... it's a lot more $$$ but I don't want to do just the re-pipe, only to discover that I'm still short-cycling because my individual zones can't fully dissipate the boiler's minimum heating output...

Thoughts? Worth exploring? Thanks again!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    maybe a smaller sized boiler a 60- 80,000 may cover it?

Also HTP builds a few tank style condensing products. I have the Solar Phoenix in my shop connected to some micro-loads, on radiator in the bedroom for example, and works great.
    I have the heating water in the Phoenix and a flat plate HX on the side for DHW. No need to store DHW and risk bacteria :)

I think it has a different name now, and you can add the dhw module.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JustinS
    Options
    I think that replacing the boiler would be cost-prohibitive, even more so than I'm already thinking of the buffer tank as...

Also, the installer has told me that a smaller boiler wouldn't meet the requirements of my SMART 80... I know that folks here have said you shouldn't upsize the boiler to cover DHW but that's what they all tell me...
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    "" I know that folks here have said you shouldn't upsize the boiler to cover DHW but that's what they all tell me... ""

Many of those same folks here haven't been in situations where there wasn't enough domestic potable hot water, and there was no way to get anymore because of undersized equipment. That there was no hope of getting more DHW because of equipment limitations. Worked fine on heat during the heating season, but the rest of the time, it was a 365 DHW season.

Its like the conflict between heating and cooling. Manual "J" says for AC, worry about the Sun because it adds to you cooling load but the sun isn't out at night. Add cooling for the day.

IBR/AHRI says for heating, don't consider the Sun, it adds heat, But at night, there's no sun and it takes away heat. So design for the cold and no sun.

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    A somewhat less expensive solution is to use an electric water heater for a buffer tank. It may not have the longevity of a true buffer, but it's about 1/3rd the cost.
    There are different options of piping it depending upon your systems configuration. The two methods that I use are to either pipe it in series (use a Tee in the drain, not the cold inlet) or to pipe it with a circ injecting into your primary loop through two closely spaced Tees.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    Options
    Justin, why do you have an 80 gallon tank?
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    Options
    Justin-It seems to me that you have a lot of things going on here that just are not going to work well for you.
    Things like not enough baseboard to run at temperatures that might allow for some condensing. Having zones that are 1/2 of the boilers minimum operating range. Bad piping, no system design. Before throwing good money after bad, you have to get an installer/designer that you have faith in, and let him fix this mess. Hiring someone, and then trying to do his job for him is just going to spend money, with questionable results. Sorry if I sound harsh, but your posts just keep on the same track, that of failure.
    j a_2
  • JustinS
    Options
    Eastman said:

Justin, why do you have an 80 gallon tank?

Not sure exactly, it's what the builder put in... We do have ~45 gal tub, shower with 2.5 gpm showerhead, 2 gpm handheld shower and 3x 2.5 gpm body sprays in the master bath... I think that's some serious water usage if he assumed they'd all be used simultaneously?
  • JustinS
    Options
    ced48 said:

Justin-It seems to me that you have a lot of things going on here that just are not going to work well for you.
    Things like not enough baseboard to run at temperatures that might allow for some condensing. Having zones that are 1/2 of the boilers minimum operating range. Bad piping, no system design. Before throwing good money after bad, you have to get an installer/designer that you have faith in, and let him fix this mess. Hiring someone, and then trying to do his job for him is just going to spend money, with questionable results. Sorry if I sound harsh, but your posts just keep on the same track, that of failure.

Hmmm.... What you say is something to consider but it's hard to know if one can have faith in an installer unless one has done some homework... After all, I trusted the original installer and well, we all know where that got me... I told him that I wanted to be able to have multiple thermostats upstairs and that was it... From my original position, he seemed like he knew what he was doing... Know what I mean?

New installer said that he was going to do a heat loss... we did discuss if radiation was appropriate... Though, I do recall the original installer telling me that he put in enough radiation for 2x4 construction and since I have 2x6, there's extra so I should be able to run cooler, right?

And not harsh... Tough, yes but that might be what I need...

• Eastman
    Options
    Suggest this...
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    No offense intended Eastman but that drawing makes absolutely no sense to me, please explain?
    Gordy
  • Eastman
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The TT Smart 80 is a tank in tank design. It has the lowest head loss of indirects. Hence it should make a decent hydraulic separator if the boiler circuit and system circuit have pretty good hydraulic resistance. That's why I added those resistor symbols. The tank should make a pretty good thermal buffer --it's huge.

I should add that I intended the Smart 80 to function as normal for DHW. The boiler water flows through tees into the top and bottom of the outer envelope. Flow is down through water heater on DHW only call. Up through the water heater when boiler is off and space heating system pumping.
  • JustinS
    Options
    Eastman said:

The TT Smart 80 is a tank in tank design. It has the lowest head loss of indirects. Hence it should make a decent hydraulic separator if the boiler circuit and system circuit have pretty good hydraulic resistance. That's why I added those resistor symbols. The tank should make a pretty good thermal buffer --it's huge.

I'm actually using it as a pseudo-buffer right now... I connected the DHW pump to the Aux Boiler Pump contacts so that it runs anytime the boiler is called for CH or DHW... mixing the CH water with water that's circulating around the SMART 80 makes the temperature much more stable and while it's eliminating my delta-T, it does significantly reduce my short-cycling at the moment (maybe 20 ignitions per day instead of a 100+?)
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I can't see that setup working. With domestic priority and outdoor reset you would be shedding BTU's back and forth. I would just do a LLH or buffer tank and be done with it.
    icesailorGordy
  • icesailor
    Options
    """ Though, I do recall the original installer telling me that he put in enough radiation for 2x4 construction and since I have 2x6, there's extra so I should be able to run cooler, right? """

The difference between 2" X 4" walls and 2" X 6" walls is often just a foot or two of baseboard.

Which will be more than compensated for with the leaky draft stop on the front entrance door.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Don't tempt the rigid laws of unintended consequences. (No good deed goes unpunished)
    Gordy
  • JustinS
    Options
    icesailor said:

Don't tempt the rigid laws of unintended consequences. (No good deed goes unpunished)

What do you mean?
  • JustinS
    Options
    OK, so I talked to the new installer some more today... for now, he's just recommending that I fix the piping and see how it impacts the boiler's operation...

One other question I have about using a buffer tank... from what I have read, it seems that they are generally used as on/off with a certain delta-T (boiler only runs to heat up similar to a DHW tank, no other time)... this seems to me that such variability in the water temp (20 deg, for instance) would have a pretty significant impact on the baseboard heat distribution?

I am wondering if it would be OK to use the buffer tank in a different way - instead of on/off, the boiler would operate during any CH call as it does now... the buffer tank would just increase the effective mass of what the boiler has to heat, making it more like a traditional boiler? It would take longer for the boiler water to heat up and to cool down...

Any thoughts on this approach?
  • Ironman
    Options
    JustinS said:

OK, so I talked to the new installer some more today... for now, he's just recommending that I fix the piping and see how it impacts the boiler's operation...

One other question I have about using a buffer tank... from what I have read, it seems that they are generally used as on/off with a certain delta-T (boiler only runs to heat up similar to a DHW tank, no other time)... this seems to me that such variability in the water temp (20 deg, for instance) would have a pretty significant impact on the baseboard heat distribution?

I am wondering if it would be OK to use the buffer tank in a different way - instead of on/off, the boiler would operate during any CH call as it does now... the buffer tank would just increase the effective mass of what the boiler has to heat, making it more like a traditional boiler? It would take longer for the boiler water to heat up and to cool down...

This is exactly what I was trying to communicate to you in my earlier post. The buffer is only used during space heating, not domestic.

I have to agree with Rob that using your present indirect for a buffer defeats the outdoor reset function because it necessitates high water temps all the time.

Bob Boan
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Justin, Dont take this personal just a rant.

Maybe you should have consider not zoning. Im a K.I.S.S type a guy. Sometimes zoning can have.... to quote Ice "unintentional consequenses" my favorite law. In your situation boiler short cycling, and a boiler with a higher low end modulation than some choices could have been. The deeds done, the lesson learned.

Do you really need that type of control? I mean zoning has its place dont get me wrong, but when you start having to throw more money, and components at a system to have that control is it really worth it? where is the ROI? Im heating 2800sf one zone, one thermostat one circulator.

So I know you are already money into zoning components in your system. So my personal rant is for others following your threads, and issues. Your issues go deeper than piping. TO OTHERS THINK ABOUT YOUR ZONING, AND THE LOW END MODULATION OF YOUR BOILER SELECTION. If you cant match the high end output for your heat loss then combine zones so the lowest loss zone is close to the low end modulation. enough said.

icesailorRobG
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Simple is the prime directive, introduce complexity (disguised as greater control) at your own risk. The fewer moving parts the better.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Gordy
  • Eastman
    Options
    Finally... I finished Part1 of my hybrid buffer diagram. Justin, shall I post in a different thread? --I don't think you'll be interest, it's mostly a response to RobG.
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hey Justin, I was in a similar situation a while ago. First of all, keep learning so you don't get screwed over again. Most of the guys on this forum are really good and nice. The ones off this forum - not so much. I suspect the switch to "high efficiency" boilers has cost this economy a ton for not too much benefit because of stupid installations like yours and mine. No offense. My system's main loop, all 8 feet of it, had a pump, as did both boilers and three loads that connected using tightly spaced tees. Two Lochinvars, a WHN199 and a KBN286, which Lochinvar doesn't recommend to be in cascade mode due to different heat exchanger designs, but were, were constantly short cycling. The smallest heating load from the two heating zones? About 5k BTU/hr. The other 12 radiant floor loads are about 10-15k each. The third load was DHW. So, there was around $10k in high efficiency boilers constantly maintaining a very unstable loop temperature of 170F to ensure the smallest heating load radiator would put out enough heat and to keep the DHW tank hot. The DHW tank had a 5F hysterisis. A lot of power was being used to run all those pumps and three were constantly running. This train wreck had well over 150 ignitions a day and obviously did not condense. Whats the point of $10k in boilers if you aren't even condensing? Later, the two boilers were separated. The WHN works just fine in San Francisco heating twelve 1000sf condos. I've never seen it close to 70% firing and we had some cold days last year (California cold!). There is no room for a big separator in our small boiler closet, but we do use a SEP4 and are slowly changing the radiators out to convectors. The KBN heats a Smart 80 and the tank set point is 155F, and we use a mixing valve. We never have hot water problems and the KBN only fires to about 50%, maybe 60% for about 5 minutes, then coasts down to around 20% for a while to peak at 155F.

I type all this to give you some context. I agree with the others. Keep it simple. There is no reason to have more pumps than you need. Also, minimize your zones. Use a buffer tank if your consolidated loads are still much smaller than minimum firing rate. I would have loved to use a buffer tank instead of the SEP4. Caleffi makes a sweet small buffer tank made to install under a wall hung. Honestly, don't worry about it unless you want a hobby. The ROI might be terrible on all these fixes. Don't rig the Smart 80 as a buffer tank. Yes, it will work, but at temperatures you need to condense, you won't have too much hot water. If you aren't condensing, why did you spend big bucks on the prestige. The Smart 80's inner tank for DHW is only like 50 gallons, the rest of the volume is the outer heating jacket. Plus, it's kinda lame to do that unless you are using a normal efficiency boiler. The optimal solution is a big variable pump for heating loads and zone valves, a variable boiler pump for 20F deltaT through the boiler, and an appropriate fixed speed pump for the DHW priority. Look at your ROI on the gas and electricity you will save. It may not be that much. My building has 12 condos and we needed a new DHW tank, so I was able to fix it all and piggyback the fixes on the tank install, mainly because it's so simple now. Saving the electricity made a big difference for us because of around 0.30cent/kWh tiers here. Gas is cheap though. Otherwise, I would have just tuned it as best possible and left it alone because the ROI did not make sense.

In the future, if the KBN dies, I will just put in a normal efficiency boiler. The KBN is a great boiler. I would definitely look at the Lochinvar normal efficiency line if I ever have to. I do think condensing makes sense for low temperature heating. The WHN condenses all the time this season and we are saving money on gas based on the cold days we've had here. The gas savings is good, but the electricity is better. Anyway, I hope this gives you some context. Watch your ROI.
  • JustinS
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ironman said:

JustinS said:

This is exactly what I was trying to communicate to you in my earlier post. The buffer is only used during space heating, not domestic.

I have to agree with Rob that using your present indirect for a buffer defeats the outdoor reset function because it necessitates high water temps all the time.

Yeah, I've thought about that - it's just a stop-gap measure to lessen the impact on my boiler (20 vs 100+ ignitions per day) while I wait for the re-piping to be done (scheduled for Jan 2nd)...

And great to know that what I was thinking is valid... sure seemed like it but couldn't find much beyond the wide delta-T on/off buffer installation... thanks!
  • JustinS
    Options
    Eastman said:

Finally... I finished Part1 of my hybrid buffer diagram. Justin, shall I post in a different thread? --I don't think you'll be interest, it's mostly a response to RobG.

You can post here or another thread, whichever you feel is most appropriate and helpful to others... either way, I'd be curious to read it over...
  • JustinS
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Gordy said:

Justin, Dont take this personal just a rant.

Maybe you should have consider not zoning. Im a K.I.S.S type a guy. Sometimes zoning can have.... to quote Ice "unintentional consequenses" my favorite law. In your situation boiler short cycling, and a boiler with a higher low end modulation than some choices could have been. The deeds done, the lesson learned.

Do you really need that type of control? I mean zoning has its place dont get me wrong, but when you start having to throw more money, and components at a system to have that control is it really worth it? where is the ROI? Im heating 2800sf one zone, one thermostat one circulator.

So I know you are already money into zoning components in your system. So my personal rant is for others following your threads, and issues. Your issues go deeper than piping. TO OTHERS THINK ABOUT YOUR ZONING, AND THE LOW END MODULATION OF YOUR BOILER SELECTION. If you cant match the high end output for your heat loss then combine zones so the lowest loss zone is close to the low end modulation. enough said.

Well, I zoned primarily because I figured the upstairs doors could be closed off at times, primarily at night... my experience in my apartment where the single thermostat was in the living room was that the bedrooms got REALLY cold at night (like to the tune of 8-10 degrees colder) when the doors were closed...

I hated that and wanted to prevent that when we built our house...
  • JustinS
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BigRob said:

Hey Justin, I was in a similar situation a while ago. First of all, keep learning so you don't get screwed over again. Most of the guys on this forum are really good and nice. The ones off this forum - not so much.

Yup, that's my plan... cause unfortunately, the costs are too great to just trust that these guys know what they are doing...
    BigRob said:

I type all this to give you some context. I agree with the others. Keep it simple. There is no reason to have more pumps than you need. Also, minimize your zones. Use a buffer tank if your consolidated loads are still much smaller than minimum firing rate. I would have loved to use a buffer tank instead of the SEP4. Caleffi makes a sweet small buffer tank made to install under a wall hung. Honestly, don't worry about it unless you want a hobby. The ROI might be terrible on all these fixes. Don't rig the Smart 80 as a buffer tank. Yes, it will work, but at temperatures you need to condense, you won't have too much hot water. If you aren't condensing, why did you spend big bucks on the prestige. The Smart 80's inner tank for DHW is only like 50 gallons, the rest of the volume is the outer heating jacket. Plus, it's kinda lame to do that unless you are using a normal efficiency boiler. The optimal solution is a big variable pump for heating loads and zone valves, a variable boiler pump for 20F deltaT through the boiler, and an appropriate fixed speed pump for the DHW priority. Look at your ROI on the gas and electricity you will save. It may not be that much.

Yeah, once I get things re-piped, I'll be moving the DHW pump back to DHW duty only... I realize it's not a good approach but for now, it's just a stop-gap approach to lessen the number of ignitions my poor boiler has to endure... we're talking like ~20 per day as it is now vs 100+ without it... for now, I'll give up a little efficiency to save the long term life of my boiler...

And I spent the big bucks on the prestige because I didn't do my homework beforehand... it's what the installer recommended and while I did know that the boiler did condense, that was about it... I didn't take the time to know that it only condensed under certain conditions and I'm not sure that my installer knew either...
    BigRob said:

Anyway, I hope this gives you some context. Watch your ROI.

Good advice, thanks!
  • icesailor
    Options
    @JustinS:

"" Yup, that's my plan... cause unfortunately, the costs are too great to just trust that these guys know what they are doing... ""

Its my personal opinion that unless they are steady readers of this forum, or go to any and all the available classes offered, most so called heating "professionals", are amateurs at best, and practicing with your money. Some are "insane". That definition of "Insanity", Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I've always said that a mistake isn't a mistake until it is corrected. Some mistakes are harder to correct than others.

I know from long personal experience that zones and zone valves save a lot of money and provide immeasurable comfort in large or odd houses. Designing and installing heating systems is a lot like making a good Portuguese Kale Soup. All the spices you need are in the Linguica and Chorizo. You need to add very little salt. Just a bit, or it is too salty. You can't take the salt out of the soup. Unless you water down the soup. If it isn't salty enough for someone, they can add their own salt.

But the guys that are going to re-pipe your system, if they REALLY don't know how it all works and goes together, it can easily end up as a too salty Kale Soup.

IMO.
    BigRob
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    The fact that they are going to re-pipe , then wait to see how it works, doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling. It sounds like someone that designs a system according to what fittings are in the bucket.
    icesailor
  • icesailor
    Options
    Or they can get from PEX Supply as quickly and as cheaply as UPS or FED-EX will deliver it.
  • JustinS
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Paul48 said:

The fact that they are going to re-pipe , then wait to see how it works, doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling. It sounds like someone that designs a system according to what fittings are in the bucket.

Sorry, when I said that they were recommending just re-piping for now, it wasn't my intent to express that they were recommending a "wait and see" approach to determine if it works at all but if it works well enough for me... they have said that a buffer tank would be the best way to go but it is a lot of $$$ to install... it would make further improvement beyond just re-piping but would it be worth all that extra $$$... that's what I'll have to decide...
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    Options
    Paul48 said:

That's my point, put more clearly, you need someone that is going to tell you what he is going to do, and that it will work. If this guy doesn't know that this system will not work properly, even with the piping corrections, move on to someone else.

• Gordy
    Options
    This was my point also. If your lowest heat loss zone does not equal the low end modulation then either combine zones to get it, or don't zone at all? That will be at design conditions. Going p/s won't change what your lowest calling zone is going to need. So you have to decide if it's worth the cost of the buffer to have that much zone control, or if combining zones eating the extra ZV is more cost effective than a buffer.
  • Ironman
    Options
    Change the piping arrangement will have little or no effect on the cycling. It gonna take buffer or combining zones as Gordy suggested.
    Bob Boan
  • Ironman
    Options
    Sorry to be redundant Gordy. Your post wasn't up when I loaded mine.
    Bob Boan
  • Gordy
    Options
    That's perfectly fine! I forgot to add that in all this there is the math. When done right it does not lie.
    Ironman
  • JustinS
    Options
    Ironman said:

Change the piping arrangement will have little or no effect on the cycling. It gonna take buffer or combining zones as Gordy suggested.

Well, I would hope it would have an effect on how badly it is short-cycling now because of the loopback between the CH Supply and Return ports... sorry if I didn't convey this well (it was discussed at length in an earlier thread of mine so I didn't think to include it here - maybe I should have)... right now, it short cycles on for about 50 seconds, purges for 30 seconds and then is off for about a minute... I would assume that going p/s would dramatically improve upon that?
  • Gordy
    Options
    I was not involved in that lengthy thread enough people were. Question is were your emitters heating effectively as it is?
  • JustinS
    Options
    Gordy said:

I was not involved in that lengthy thread enough people were. Question is were your emitters heating effectively as it is?

True enough :-)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "heating effectively as it is"?

If you're asking if the zones themselves only call for a short-time, I'm not 100% sure yet - I've started timing the zones and so far, what I've seen is that the 1st floor zone called for heat for about 7 minutes (with 150F) and was off for probably 15 minutes or so...
  • Gordy
    Options
    Is your house/zones meeting your heating requirements?
    canstaff
  • JustinS
    Options
    Gordy said:

Is your house/zones meeting your heating requirements?

I am able to keep the house at the temperature that I want it to be at, yes... I haven't gone much about 70 but haven't had any trouble achieving whatever I set the thermostat to...