Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where to drill/tap this Main for a new vent

FeltBikeRider
FeltBikeRider Member Posts: 31
edited December 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
Looking to drill and tap this Main to the upstairs radiator. My plan is to tap the T in the middle and either use a nipple and a 90* with a Gorton #1 or just get a Gorton D. If it were you what would you do? Right now there are 2 Gorton #2s on the dry return of this Main. The Main supplies 3 radiators has about 45' of 2.5" Main and 30' of 1" dry return. I also want to add a Gorton #1 at the T for the other 2 radiators on this Main feed. But this is the one that needs to be done first.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have a 1 pipe steam site with a similar situation, 15' 2" riser feeding 1 large ci rad. My thought was to tap the "wrong" side of the rad, above the valve, with Gorton D....thinking that would vent the riser quicker and then shut off when steam arrived into the first section at the valve. Then the existing vent would be the controlling factor. Has anyone tried this?? Also this would provide double openings to let air in for condensate drainback.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    JUGHNE said:

I have a 1 pipe steam site with a similar situation, 15' 2" riser feeding 1 large ci rad. My thought was to tap the "wrong" side of the rad, above the valve, with Gorton D....thinking that would vent the riser quicker and then shut off when steam arrived into the first section at the valve. Then the existing vent would be the controlling factor. Has anyone tried this?? Also this would provide double openings to let air in for condensate drainback.

Yes... I've done that. A D on the supply side and a 4 on the far side away from the supply. Works well to vent a long riser up to a 3rd floor.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Thanks for the reply. I had this idea over a year ago but never implemented it. This is a 90 year old section of a school that has 1pipe steam only CI rads. The rooms w/o t-stat have old Danfoss RAV-1PS (Thermostat air vents) that have no vac bkr. The devices do work but without a vac bkr sometimes the condensate holds in the rads. So will try to drill & tap over Christmas break. Trying to improve on venting time and hopefully gain vacumn breaking also. Thank you again.