Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Massachusetts Gas Code-MA Boiler Approval

Options
EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
As many MA. installers know the State requires a MA. approval # for all (gas &plumbing) equipment installed in the State. There's still a lot of equipment out there being manufactured that does not have a MA. approval #. Just because the equipment has UL or some other listing that doesn't count. You can search for the MA approval #s on the State web site. Don't trust the REP's to tell you the truth, (a lot of them are just not aware of the requirements) you have to search this out yourself. I was recently looking for some gas fired radiant heat and found some (a major brand) that was not approved

The other problem is that when you install an approved MA. piece of equipment don't take it for granted that it will pass inspection. As reported in last months "Progress" magazine some manufacturers are furnishing gas trains or parts that may not pass muster.

Just be aware

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    That was an interesting article in the winter edition of Progress.

Also is the part about venting into masonry chimneys and it is illegal to use the chimney as a source of make-up air by not sealing the new exhaust vent into the chimney without sealing it.

And the part about the gas trains with the low pressure switch BEFORE the regulator? Read the manual. look at the drawings.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Ice, your right but it's a little more than that. Some of the new stuff spark ignition etc on large boilers doesn't meet the code which states a proven pilot is required over 1 million input I believe. It's more of a case that the code needs to be brought up to date to match the modern technology. The way I see it most of the new boilers in the larger sizes do not meet the code as presently written. It will change.
  • icesailor
    Options
    I'm no expert on this. I understand what you are saying about burners over 1,000,000 BTU's.

I re-piped the gas train for a Power flame GO-3 It has a gas pilot that had specific directions on how it was to be connected. After the main shut-off but before the main gas train shut-off, so that you could shut off the main gas valve and it would shut off the pilot. What I corrected wasn't like that. But the gas pilot would be lit first as a trial, Then, after some sequencing, the main burner came on with spark ignition.

From what was said in Progress, it was more that connections were made between the valves where when you were to test the gas train, there was something that didn't belong there. I think the problem may be on ones that the installer of the burner must pipe the gas train. Like the one I fixed. All parts were supplied by the manufacturer, the original installer didn't use all the parts needed nor leave any test ports. I can see that some unqualified installers might get it wrong. Its not that hard to follow a regulation plan. Its right there in the code book.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Its a wok in progress. I am sure we will all be hearing from the state on this stuff.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Then, there's the one saying that a popular heating boiler manufacturer says that it is permissible to put a plastic vent into a unlined chimney and cut a hole in the bottom to use the flue for make-up air. This is not allowed per NFPA 54-2012.

Maybe a better typist than I can copy it.