Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

#2 Fuel Tank and Viega

Hilly
Hilly Member Posts: 427
Has anyone used the MegaPressG for the piping on there oil storage tanks? I've done a couple of boilers with copper press and that stuff can be magical to work with.

Comments

• Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43
    Mega Press is not approved for the usage of # 2 fuel oil piping. We have used it for gas and other rated applications. It would defiantly make the piping of oil tanks much easier if it was rated for fuel oil.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    You need to find out if the O-Rings used to seal the connections are approved for use on oil. Most Butyl Nitrate rubbers will degrade under petroleum distillates.
  • Hilly
    I believe MegaPressG is approved, it has different o-rings than the standard MegaPress. I know it does have a CSA rating, I'll look for the document shortly.
  • Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43
    I did just find the document http://www.viega.us/xchg/en-us/hs.xsl/7333.htm But was told by our Viega Rep that it was not approved for usage in Massachusetts per the fuel oil code. This could be different in other states. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post.
  • Hilly
    They have it listed as being able to use copper ProPressG or MegaPressG for Fuel Oil #2 when supplied with HNBR sealing O-Rings. I guess I should have researched a little more before posting.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Even if it was approved, I would not use it. Black threaded pipe rules for me.
    jonny88
  • billtwocase
    also no copper piping in Mass for oil tanks
    icesailor
  • icesailor
    Absolutely.
    billtwocase
  • Hilly
    Further reading on there site (all the information takes multiple documents to be found and read to get the whole answer) it does appear that only a hand full or two of the States have approval thus far in the US. I honestly figured most of the guys here who would comment would be professionals of the trades, which also lead me to believe that most all would own a threader already making it the preferred choice. But with Copper Press become more popular, or so it seems, I thought some may have looked into already.
  • billtwocase
    God help us if that gets approved near me. The work being done is shoddy enough now. I can only imagine and hope I am retired by that time, but I highly doubt we will see it OK'd here
  • icesailor
    edited December 2014
    Hah!!! I once found a uninspected and replaced tank piped with PVC , adapting to steel pipe through the walls so it would look to the oil company that it had been done in steel pipe.

If it was cheaper and allowed, some hackster or homeowner would do it in PEX.
  • billtwocase
    the homeowner saved a bundle by doing it himself. Only sad thing is the oil supplier would be hung out to dry if it failed while filling. We are always an easy target
  • icesailor
    That's why the installer ran steel black nipples and malleable fittings outside, So the oil delivery guy wouldn't rat them out. And he told the FD oil inspector that copper had been approved long ago.

My oldest daughter built a house in East Hampton, LI, NY and her tank is piped copper to steel outside. Must be the thing in NY
  • billtwocase
    It would be interesting to see the result when copper vandals steal the tank piping inside a house. Splain that one Lucy. :D
  • icesailor
    First, they have to get past the alarm system. Then, Killer. The Kick Dog.
  • Hilly
    It certainly is wild some of the things you hear of people doing out there in the real world.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Copper thieves and remote mountaintop radio sites can get interesting. Aluminum feeders have made massive gains in popularity over the past few years.
  • icesailor
    Then there's the copper grounds buried in the ground on old abandoned Ground Plane Antenna's. If the trees and bushes haven't grown up too badly, you find an end, connect it to a truck and drive away. A 1,000' vertical tower will have 1,000' of horizontal wire radiating from the base of the tower.