Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BRAZED PLATED HEAT EXHANGER

Options
Paul S_3
Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
Hey everyone, in the three pics i posted below shows a recent steam boiler that i installed a few days ago....boiler is sized to the connected load.....radiators EDR are 382 SQ FT....the boiler is a WILLIAMSON GSA-150 (392 SQ FT)....It also has 2 condensate zones heated VIA braze plated heat exchanger (10 plates /capacity 45,000 to 75,000 btus), which is the smallest one i couldve got ... ZONE#1= has 21FT of 3/4" baseboard =12,500BTUS....ZONE#2=HAS 35FT OF 3/4" 21,00BTUS...Total condensate loop = 35,500BTUS.....I have always used this type of heat exchanger for condensate loops off of steam boilers....and ive never had a issue ....but when i purchased the heat exchanger one of the reps from the supply house told me that the braze plated heat exhanger that ive been using for years is the wrong part for this type of application...beacuse the dirty steam boiler water will clogg the SMALL passage ways through heat exchanger....The rep said to use the EVERHOT heat exhanger that is in DAN'S books...i just want to know what you guys have been using ...and should i switch to the EVERHOT????...
THANKS PAUL S
ASM MECHANICAL INC Serving ALL 5 borough's in NYC
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Nice looking job-did it take long to skim clean, or did you teach the owner how to do it?--NBC
  • Paul S_3
    Options
    i would say it took about a day ....8 hours....a lot of of oil from all the threading....how do you feel about those braze plated heat exchangers compared to the EVERHOT TANK???? thanks PAUL S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited December 2014
    Options
    We've been using a B&G brazed-plate HX for a while now. I've also feared that it would be susceptible to clogging from the dirty steam water. So, I make it a practice to use a HX that is two or three times oversized for my circulated heat load. I figure the extra capacity will allow for inevitable fouling and declining efficiency. We also make sure to install a Y-Strainer right on the boiler outlet. No issues yet.
    Paul S_3
  • Paul S_3
    Options
    Thanks for all the help.....can I use a dirt eliminator like a DIRTCAL? Or should I use just a wye-strainer thanks Paul s
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 888
    Options
    Paul S, I can't comment much on steam I don't work with it at all. Though my aunt has a steam system with an everhot, and it has plugged twice in 4 years. I will say it's piped wrong - no strainer, pumps are higher than the water line, etc. My point is depending on application and water quality you may have plugging issues either way. I was away the last time it plugged and instead of cleaning the coil some other service guy swapped the ever hot for a new one and didn't fix any of the problems causing the plugging!! I was not very pleased.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Isn't the boiler water to be pumped into the tank and the zone circulate through the coil?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,426
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have always used shell and tube type heat exchangers for condensate hot water heating applications for the exact reason your rep mentioned. Similarly, I've serviced many flate plate heat exchangers which have clogged because of their use in these applications. In my opinion, shell and tube is the way to go. B & G makes a nice one, in addition to Everhot.
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    Options
    I would install a means to back flush the exchanger on the boiler side. Using domestic water on outlet to open end on inlet will flush any plugging of exchanger. Been doing this for years on marine and stationary titanium plate heat exchangers for saltwater cooling sides.