Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 pipe system with bucket trap, F & T trap no main vents DROPPED HEADER QUESTION

Options
I am in the midst of installing a steam boiler on a 2 pipe system with dry returns, no condensate pump. No vents on the return mains after the mentioned traps. I have measured the distance between the boiler water line and the lowest trap. This dimension is 26". I am installing two 3' risers, the bottom of the risers are 37" above the boiler water line. Utica/ECR shows in the instruction drawing that the bottom of the header should be 24" above the water line. I have been reading on the steam forum that the dropped header can be installed as low as the top of the boiler. The header is also 3".
Questions: A. would it be OK to have the bottom of the dropped header 26" above the water line instead of the 24" recommended height?
B. Can I instead drop the header to a point just above the top of the boiler?
C. There are no vents after the traps on the dry return lines, should I add vents?
Thanks to all.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    If you are doing a dropped header the minimum height from the manufacturer doesn't really matter anymore. You need to be above the water line for sure. The more drop you do the more piping options you can have because it give you space. If you want it just above the top of the boiler I don't see that being an issue. I have mine like that and I have seen others do the same. Not sure what the jacket on your boiler is like, but if you need to remove the to panel for any reason keep that in mind with the drop header. On my boiler I made sure to keep the header out in front of the boiler so I could later access the block for cleaning later (mine is through the top). The important part is the height of that first riser and at 3' you should be in excellent shape. I default to someone with 2 pipe experience for the vent question.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JudySweetland
    JudySweetland Member Posts: 120
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

If you are doing a dropped header the minimum height from the manufacturer doesn't really matter anymore. You need to be above the water line for sure. The more drop you do the more piping options you can have because it give you space. If you want it just above the top of the boiler I don't see that being an issue. I have mine like that and I have seen others do the same. Not sure what the jacket on your boiler is like, but if you need to remove the to panel for any reason keep that in mind with the drop header. On my boiler I made sure to keep the header out in front of the boiler so I could later access the block for cleaning later (mine is through the top). The important part is the height of that first riser and at 3' you should be in excellent shape. I default to someone with 2 pipe experience for the vent question.

Thanks KC. Some of the posts on this matter (i read the first 18 pages of 100 on a 2 pipe dropped header search) contradicted one another. I looked in the LAoSH and reread the pertinent chapters and could not find any mention of allowing the header to be lower than the 24" dimension height. TY for your response.