Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brand New Radiator

Options
nz
nz Member Posts: 125
Just wanted to share my success story with everyone.

And yes, the radiator is actually brand new. The location is not though...someone had removed the radiator from a large room in my basement. This became evident when I gutted the room last year - as the supply and return pipes were present, but plugged.

When remodeling this room into a 11.2 surround sound theater room, I decided it'd be nice to have heat in the room again - so I bought a brand new 72" x 24" radiator from a vendor online (I won't mention the website but I am very happy with the customer service and quality.)

Just got it hooked up tonight with a new TRV and a MEPCO from off eBay. I was quite nervous that something I hadn't foreseen would pop up, but luckily - everything works! The room probably hasn't had heat (other than the fireplace) in 30-50 years.

Happy Holidays to everyone!
BioRoss_24

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Is that a cast iron radiator? Kinda looks like steel or maybe its just the powder coat?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    That is gorgeous. One question though, how is the condensate going to get out of the tubes that are below the radiator connection?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nz
    Options
    Thanks!

Abracadabra - It's powder coated steel. 17k BTUs. 79 lbs.

KC - condensate runs in the wall and through two rooms to one of the wet returns.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Not what I was asking. On the condensate return connection at the radiator (see attached) any condensate below the level of the ID of the pipe is going to stay inside the radiator (the bushing is essentially a dam). I would have expected at least an eccentric reducer in this location. Not sure what volume of water this could amount to?! Also I don't know if it's going to cause issues, just something I was curious about. In a wall or vertical application some water is left in there, but it's minimal and facing the floor. In your application the water is facing the room you are trying to heat which could cut down on output.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    KC, I noticed this detail too. All things considered, the job looks very nice and I'm sure that the amount of heat is probably going to be sufficient, especially when compared to no heat at all.

However, NZ, if you wanted to correct this minor detail, you will not find eccentric bushings. Believe me, I tried for several years to locate them and have found that they just are not being made. However, you could used an eccentric bell reducer, aka reducing coupling. They are made and are in common use in sprinkler systems and steam work. You'd have to first put a short nipple into the radiator, then the reducing coupling, then on to the trap.

In looking at the rad again, if this is steel and not cast iron, I suspect that the material is thing enough that even with the eccentric reducer, the down facing tubes are going to have water sitting in them anyway. A reduction in the possible heat output, but still is going to put a lot of heat in your room and I think you're going to love it!
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • nz
    Options
    KC, Dave:

Thanks for clarifying - I see what you're talking about now.

What you said makes sense, and I agree that I'll need to correct this. Probably after I finish the rest of the room - trying to get ready for a big holiday party.

I do have the rad pitched fairly well both towards the window and towards the trap, so most of the condensate should roll in the correct direction.

I'm glad I bought the biggest rad they make for two pipe, so hopefully it will compensate for the reduction in heat output. I did feel the whole thing heat up last night though, as the boiler was off for about 6 hours as we were opening the old plugs in the supply and return lines.

• Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    I believe you'll be fine. My electronics rig puts off a lot of heat when it's in use, so I doubt you'll notice if your capacity is lowered a touch.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two