Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to Balance Hot Water Radiators?

Options
ww
ww Member Posts: 282
edited December 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
I searched this site to find some information and didn't come up with much. This is the situation.

The back side of the 50 x 100 2 floor with basement house is warmer than the other. The upstairs is being worked on so really needs a minimum of heat.The thermostat is in the downstairs living room furthest from the boiler in the front of the house. I don't like alot of heat and am fine with 60/62 degrees on the thermostat..and lower at night..that feels warm enough for me!..

and I do suspect that could be a part of the problem as well...but hope can be somewhat corrected. If I kept the water in the radiators hot all the time there wouldn't be too much of a differential in water temperature. The end of the main goes into a room that is really cold..next to a outdoor porch..i have to insulate more than just on pipes..any suggestions?

As the days and nights become colder if the thermostat calls for heat the boiler will have to stay on longer to satisfy the temperature setting consequently causing the back of the house to be alot warmer...10 degrees or more depending than the front. If I put the thermostat up to 65 or 68 the house and all the radiators get warm and house is comfortable. The way it is now If i put the thermostat in the back the boiler will go off sooner and the front will be colder.

I just put the heat on and noticed it was taking awhile for the heat to hit the first radiator in line off the main..I waited about 45 minutes...then found that there was alot of air in radiator...I bled it and radiator and pipe going upstairs got hot right away...I bled these radiators before...more than once..have to check what is causing air in the system..this can obviously be a problem..and figured I'd post this up to the minute update....

have to check the boiler pressure and make sure it's high enough...and bleed system again after that. I just checked the boiler pressure gauge..it says 14...sounds low since system is running.

I could try to close some valves upstairs and open 1/4 of a turn to delay water from entering upstairs..and keep the bottoms open..or a bit of each. I haven't tried any of this yet since I want to hear from some with experience on how I can correct this. Most of the column radiators have valves that turn about 110 degrees from completely on to off..one has no valve upstairs and two have valves that require 3 or 4 turns to close and open.

I've read some articles on this and have seen a couple of videos..does anyone know the best way to do this and if it's something that would work? I don't want any problems with radiators not getting any heat at all to prevent freezing if the temps drop too long either.

The boiler is an old Delco running a beckett AF with a 1.25 80a nozzle. It's a one zone system with two supply and return lines supplying radiators upstairs and downstairs.

Circulator is Taco 007. Aquastats set at 140/170.