Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam heat contractor in North Jersey

Options
Elias
Elias Member Posts: 22
I went to look at a house with my brother and his family - got some laughs and tears upon viewing the boiler - All the near boiler piping was done in copper, it looks like someone went to Home Depot in between football games on Thanksgiving and got a bunch of the crimp-on solder ring fittings to put it all together. Of course it's not anything close to the manufacturers specs, even if it was the proper materials. Also, they ran a new oil line right across the boiler room floor, I counted five people tripping over it over the course of an hour, two of which were me, and I knew it was there! They also omitted the oil filter completely (it's not at the tank, either)! Obviously hadn't been combustion tested in years, judging by the barometric damper --

They're in contract, and the seller didn't raise a fuss, but their representative said they would "get a plumber in there" to look at it. My brother said no, we need a qualified heating contractor in there, and they agreed --

I'd love to get some recommendation from people here as to a good steam guy (or gal) to come in and take a look at this job and give a formal estimate. It's in the Maplewood area.

Thanks so much.

Eli

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I will third that recommendation. The seller is probably going to be in for a big surprise if it's even half as bad as you describe.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Elias
    Elias Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Great! Thanks so much. Here's a picture that will give you a larf.

There's so many funny/sad things to point out that I won't even try -- Yes, that is the water feed. No, there isn't a backflow prevention device. No there is not an automatic feeder, although there is a LWCO.

I think I added the picture. We will see. Again, thanks one million percent. When I bought my house 15 years ago, Dan's books saved the day. I probably have saved 50K because of him - luckily I got to tell him at one of the seminars!

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Yep that requires a complete repipe for sure!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Gateway is located in Orange NJ. They do nice work also
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I'd be happy to help. We have a bit of a cult following in Maplewood/South Orange, so I'm in the area a lot.

Call, text, or email. Any way is fine.
    Cell: 908-337-3133
    Office: 732-494-4357
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    JStar said:

I'd be happy to help. We have a bit of a cult following in Maplewood/South Orange, so I'm in the area a lot.

A well-earned cult!
    Retired and loving it.
    RobG
  • Dave_154
    Dave_154 Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JStar said:

I am NOT a groupie..... :)
    & I do have heat in the attic now.