Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam boiler swapout gas to gas

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
STEAM replacement size 1950 MBH input. speced out weil mclain LGB 16 WHAT ARE PRO & CON atmospheric vs. powerflame . considering HB SMITH as alternate. what say my seasoned expert compadres. thanx as per usual, gents. bob young nyc lic. plumber 685

Comments

• With the powerflame, is there a 2-stage option?
    Start on high, and reduce to low, when the steam pressure hits 6 ounces?--NBC
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Wet-base with a power burner all the way. Atmospheric boilers are just too inefficient to make sense on larger systems. They shouldn't even be manufactured as far as I'm concerned.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Yes, NBC, Two-staged gas powerflame burners are available even in smaller sizes. I probably would have (maybe) gone that route, but as a homeowner it was difficult to get anyone to call me back. Reillo makes one for slightly larger boiler than I have.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I listened to all the pros on this site and went with a wet-based boiler with gas- conversion burner, specifically Slantfin Intrepids, twinned in this case for even greater efficiency. The pros are thus: greater efficiency , lower standby losses, smaller footprint, greater longevity.Since the flame is in the middle of the boiler, it doesn't need to get through the rust and sludge that always accumulates at the bottom of boiler, so it boils faster.
    Cons: well, this isn't one, but I had read the noise factor. I haven't found this to be true at all, but mileage may vary with different burners. I have Riello G400s. These boilers, although smaller, are heavier. That's why the smattering of HOs who've installed their own have opted for atmospheric. They had steep stairs or no way to lift it across hardwood floors. I used an engine lift and that worked well. Stair climbers would also help. The powerflame burner does require a combustion analysis and knowledge to use it. (I also like the Riellos because they came with numerous orifices to dial in the perfect gas rate to match my edr.) Most importantly, they are unforgiving of bad piping, but just follow the directions for proper install. My Slantfins REQUIRED dropped headers even for a single boiler. While their instructions were very exact, I had to get special ones emailed for a conversion burner application. No biggy, just had to specify.
    The price difference is negligible.

Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Con for the power burner, especially the PowerFlame is the noise. I've installed both LGBs and HB Smith 28 (used to be 28A now they are 28HE basically same boiler.) 28s have much larger and heavier sections.
  • jimmac
    jimmac Member Posts: 47
    Bob,
    Whats being removed?The LGB-16 requires one hell of a foot print.
    If it allows go with Smith 28- series with the P/F ...or the Weil Mclain 788 with a Beckett Gas Burner.
    Also what size is your chimney?
    With the power burner YOU WILL HAVE GREATER INSTALL OPTIONS.........PM me if you need some more info
    Jim