Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a bullheaded tee?

Hello,

I am trying to work through the solution that my installer is planning to do on Friday to resolve the issue I've discussed in a separate thread (http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/152333/help-with-steam-boiler-main-vent-sizing#latest) and I am wondering if the proposed solution would be considered a bullheaded tee. Basically they are planning to link my master bedroom radiator directly to the main via a tee (I've attached an illustration).

Does this constitute a bullheaded tee, or are there other factors that would need to be met (such as a pipe-size reduction within the tee) in order to have a bullheaded tee?

Comments

• mcvetyty
    mcvetyty Member Posts: 50
    Or is this option a more correct implementation?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    That still isn't correct. If I am understanding your diagram correctly think about where the condensate for the radiator is going to go...straight into the boiler riser. And yes essentially it is a bullhead tee. All radiator takeoffs should be from the top of the main period. They are supposed to come off at a 45° angle so the condensate flows along the bottom of the pipe back to the main and along the main back to the return pipes. I looked at your smoking gun picture and the biggest difference I see is the installer eliminated the return pipe for that radiator. It essentially looks like on the original install that radiator functioned as an independent main all it's own. I can clearly see 2 wet return pipes in that picture and they eliminated one of them. If they want to take that rad off the main like they propose they should bring it off the top of the main and probably add a drip return for that radiator like it was done before. I would not under any circumstance let them do what they are proposing. The fact that they did what they did and now suggesting an improper fix suggests they really don't understand what they are doing. I think it's good they are willing to fix it, but what they are suggesting isn't really a fix.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    hot_rod
  • KC_Jones
    I posted before I saw the second one. Again that would work, but it would then need a condensate return pipe or a drip to get the condensate out of the pipe before it gets to the main. You don't really want to drop that condensate back into your header like that.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • mcvetyty
    Oh yes! Of course, and that makes perfect sense. So, to re-diagram with your feedback, is the attached what you are thinking? And then should I have them do option 2 over option 1 in order to avoid the tee?
  • KC_Jones
    Option 2 looks the most like what was there before and should be your best bet. It will surely be better than what you have now.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    mcvetyty
  • mcvetyty
    Great, thanks so much KC!