Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to heat our domestic hot water ?

Hello, so now that our steam boiler has been installed and running for almost three months we will have to make the decision on how we want to heat our domestic hot water. Options are:

Indirect off of the boiler like this. Link

Hybrid Electric Heat Pump water heater like this. Link

High-efficiency electric water heater like this. Link

My kw charge is at 11 cents (generation / delivered).

My Therm charge is 1.05 per

I am leaning to the indirect, I like the idea of keeping my boiler hot and in operation year round. I can't imagine that it sitting for months on end would be a good thing. Another point is that without a electric water heater I can back up our house electrical needs with a smaller generator.

I like the Hybrid option but would like to hear one in operation. Another like is that they double as a dehumidifier, this would be nice during the summer months.

The high efficiency is nice for the simplicity and the amount of insulation and it's standby loss.

Do any of you have any personal experiences with the options above ? No rush since this project will take place in the spring. I currently have a 80 gallon AO Smith electric water heater that I acquired from Craigslist when I replaced our old oil steam boiler. Working great for $50 !

Thanks for your time.

Gene in Northern NJ
NJ HVACR License 19HC00537600