Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RADIATOR VENTS

Options
norb
norb Member Posts: 44
I was curious. Are there any vents for radiators that have a lower capacity
than a Gorton #4 ? I have one radiator that is located in my kitchen , right above
my boiler. Even with a Gorton #4 on, it gets very hot. I think it causes my thermostat
to get satisfied too quickly. If there are such vents, what are the name and venting capacity?
Also , where do you buy them?
thanks

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Maid-o-Mist makes one called Varivent. It comes with 5 different orifices that you can switch out until you find the one that works best for that radiator. The vent rate ranges from well below the Gorton #4 up to larger.
    Also, Hoffman makes the 1A (this is the one I use) which has a dial on the top and the venting rages is from 1 to six with 1 being almost closed. I like these but you have to be sure you keep the center cap aligned to get the exact benefit of each setting. Not hard to use at all.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,748
    Options
    In addition to what Fred said if you still can't slow it down enough you could try increasing venting on other radiators on the same line so the other rooms warm up faster. I am not in your house so can only theorize. Balancing the system can be frustrating, but also very rewarding. And remember when it comes to radiator venting make small steps at a time and give each change a few days to see what it does.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    do you have good main vents? these do all the work of air removal, which the radiator vents are unable to do quickly. proper venting will help all the radiators get steam at the same time.--NBC
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,562
    Options
    Old trick: Cover the vent hole with a small piece of duct tape. Use a very thin sewing needle to punch a hole through the duct tape.
    Retired and loving it.
    Dave in QCA
  • norb
    Options
    I WILL TRY THIS---THANKS
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,562
    Options
    And you can't beat the price. ;)
    Retired and loving it.
    Dave in QCA
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

Old trick: Cover the vent hole with a small piece of duct tape. Use a very thin sewing needle to punch a hole through the duct tape.

YAUFDT!
    Yet Another Use For Duct Tape! YAUFDT!
  • Bug512
    Bug512 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Duct tape and a numbered drill bit set and you have unlimited possibilities.
    Gene in Northern NJ
    NJ HVACR License 19HC00537600
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    I'm glad you are talking about permanent repairs here, as so many knuckleheads take the easy way out!--NBC
    Dave in QCA
  • norb
    Options

Fred mentioned a Hoffman 1A, which has six settings. Can anyone list the venting capacities for each of the six settings on the Hoffman 1A?
    for example a Varivalve minimum setting has the venting capacity of .065. I would appreciate any information on this.
    Thanks
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    The Hoffman 1A has the following at 1oz

1- 0.020
    2- 0.028
    3- 0.100
    4- 0.108
    5- 0.140
    6- 0.145

They are fussy to adjust because of all the slop in the adjustment cap, I'm surprised they have no addresses this.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • norb
    Options
    thanks for the information bob c
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    BobC, with all the "fidgiting" we do with every valve, knob, vent, pipe, radiator, slope, tilt, etc we do on all of our systems, I'm surprised anyone would have a problem with the adjustment on the 1A. :) I have used them exclusively for years and the work well and are very reliable. If you hold the adjustment cap on the number you want and aligned with the body of the vent and hand turn the screw top, that's all there is to it.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    If you center the cap while you tighten the screw they do adjust fine but if you don't hold the cap? If someone makes an adjustment without some care they might not realize why the results aren't what they thought they would be.

If used on radiators with long leadouts they can become bound by a drop of water at very low pressures. Also they are noisy compared to Gorton or Maid o Mist so you might not like it in bedrooms. Used with care in the right location they are a reliable vent.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge