Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What air vent is it?

Options
alonm123
alonm123 Member Posts: 5
edited December 2014 in Strictly Steam
Hello,

Can anyone identify the air vent in the attached pictures?
I guess that the radiator is an one-pipe steam sunrad recessed radiator and the air vent is corroded and can't be cleaned. I'm looking to purchase a new one but with no success finding it anywhere and have no name/model/size for it.

Thanks in advance,
Happy holidays folks!
RJMCTAFO

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Looks like a hot water coin vent, not a steam vent.
  • Tolik
    Tolik Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Wow, how long has that thing been used?

Why do you care if its the same one? Just get one that fits your pipe and system type.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,748
    Options
    SWEI said:

Looks like a hot water coin vent, not a steam vent.

I will second that. You need a proper steam radiator vent.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • alonm123
    Options
    I don't care if it's the same one or not, but I couldn't find anything that fits, I tried different steam radiator vents from Home Depot but nothing fits there.
    Should I also try to remove the nut or a proper vent should fit right where I removed this old and rusty vent?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,748
    Options
    That "vent" is for a water radiator not a steam radiator. You need to remove everything so all you have is a threaded hole in the radiator. What is there is a 2 piece coin vent, both pieces need to come out.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • gcp13
    gcp13 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Taco 417-3
    Destroyed
    Can be used on steam but I would'nt.
    unscrew the whole thing and add a proper air vent.
    alonm123
  • alonm123
    Options
    I see exactly the same vents in other rooms of the apartment and even in the lobby of the building (this is an 11 floors building).

Any idea from your experience why water radiator vents were put on steam radiators (if this is really a steam radiator, excuse me for my ignorance)?

Thanks for helping!
  • gcp13
    gcp13 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Make sure it's steam
    If it's hot water your in for a surprise
    There is a ball inside that nut that doesn't let water out so you can replace just the front end of the coin vent.
    Are you a tenant or owner.
    If you rent let the building take care of it.
    If they heat up without any air coming out the vent its more likely hot water.
  • alonm123
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's steam, there is only one pipe that goes into the radiator and during heating cycles if I unscrew slightly this vent then air/steam is coming out.
    The reason I want to replace the vent is a very loud annoying hissing/whistling sound.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,562
    Options
    I believe that's an old Hoffman 500, their hydroscopic disc vent, that they sold for both hot-water and steam systems. The paper-like discs swell when wet and shut the vent. It takes a while for the paper to dry, which is why I never liked them for steam radiators.
    Retired and loving it.
    KC_Jonesalonm123
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The original steam vents were replaced by a clueless hack. The whistling you hear is because the coin vents have to be open a bit to let the air out. Unfortunately, they won't actually close once the steam arrives, so in addition to making noise, they are causing the boiler to consume makeup water, which will dramatically shorten its life.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    See attached, I believe they were mainly used on convectors because of space constraints,

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Hoffman-401475-508-1-8-Straight-Steam-Convector-Air-Valve-3521000-p
  • alonm123
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you for the replies!