Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

0-10v manifold valve actuators

Eastman
Eastman Member Posts: 927
Proportional thermal actuators? I always thought they should exist, now I realize they do. Has anybody used these? Suggestions, comments? What are you using for thermostats?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Heatlink up in Canada does PWM modulation of wax motor actuators.
  • Eastman
    Are they capable of maintaining a partially open equilibrium state?
  • SWEI
    I think so -- as long as you use their stats (and perhaps their zone boxes.) I'd give them a ring and ask.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 14,753
    What is the application? The actuator for our PICV had a lot of functions and features. Might be too large for multiple valves on a manifold, however
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Eastman
    edited December 2014
    hot rod, these are designed to fit on manifolds.

Check out this data sheet from Mohlenhoff on their Alpha 4 actuators.

http://www.moehlenhoff.info/getfile.php/74e295966ace19d214827c9e6b6d1fe9/8-D58-40-336_DB_AA5004_Proportional_MOE_GB.pdf

They perform a function similar to TRVs, but something's gotta provide the 0-10v signal. You could throttle flow to rads, or a floor. I'm sure one could perform a function similar to an Oventrop unibox if a 0/10v thermostat exists with air and floor warming functions in mind.

• JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 171
    I think Spartan in Canada has a 0-10V wall thermostat available. The next concern would be that most manifolds have valves designed for on/off operation, not modulation. It takes a different shape of valve guts to provide smooth flow control vs. simple on/off. It would probably work on a basic valve, just not as well as it might if all components were meant for throttling flow.
  • Eastman
    edited December 2014
    Yeah Jeff, I think it's probably not something that should be relied on for principle system balancing.
  • SWEI
    Eastman said:
    Those look like they are designed to mate with a TRV body.
    JeffM said:

I think Spartan in Canada has a 0-10V wall thermostat available.

Viconics also has several options.
  • Eastman
    Looks just like the Heat Link DDC actuator.