Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heavy Cracked Rad.

unclejohn
unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
I have a 5 tube, 22" high 62" long rad that is leaking. I removed it and pushed it aside until I can get a replacement. Has
anyone ever broken one of these up for removal?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Unless you have a big gang or can find some large guys that remove boilers and such for scrap, it is a wise move to split those large radiators up for ease of removal. Watch out for the black liquid. It REALLY stains. A new roll of Bounty is in order to stick in the ends and wile up the spills.

No one eats a 8 oz. steak in one bite. You cut it up in pieces for easy consumption.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I wouldn't even consider breaking it up in the house, not even in the basement unless you don't mind the mess and stains. I suppose if you can but some heavy plastic down and then seperate two or three sections, you can then wrap each section in plastic and carry it out. Be sure they are wrapped so as not to leak/drip.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    If you meant "breaking it up" with a 10# hammer, absolutely NO. Remove the draw rods and split it into smaller sections to make it smaller and lighter.

You have no idea what a mess you will make if you try to bust up that radiator.

If it is on a second floor, and you don't have any winder stairs or turns with "Pie Steps", a good appliance dolly will take that right down for you. It isn't THAT big.

Get a case of beer and some guys. Make them get the radiator outside before they can crack open the case.

Buy good beer. No cheap stuff. Get them what they want. Its cheaper at twice the cost if you wreck your back or yourself.