Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat for an automotive detail booth

Options
zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
Does anyone have an idea on heating an automotive detail booth.We have a customer that has two of these that are 12' wide x 8' high x 24 deep.They are installed on the third level of a parking garage,and used for minor painting,and car detailing.They want to add heat,and at first we thought of infrared heat,but with the low 8' ceiling this is not an option because I can not find one with a min. mounting height of less then nine feet.That includes the tube heaters,and spot heaters that are usually found in outdoor bar/smoking areas.The only other options that I can think of are either radiant heat installed on the underside of the slab,and some type of direct fired make up air unit that would duct into the booth.The problem with a mau is to find one with that small of capacity.Both of these options are expensive,so if anyone knows of a better option,please comment.The two heat sources available are natural gas,and electric.Thanks to all.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Radiant ceiling, and/or walls, with a modcon boiler serving both?
    What is the heatloss?--NBC
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Are you sizing your mau on the cfm of your exhaust fan in the paint booth? I would stick in a boiler and use a hydronic coil and airhandler if i could get it in the cfm of the exhaust fan in the booth.pipe in enough fresh air for the ehaust fan with alittle extra for a positive pressure in the finish area.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    The usage of the space may dictate to a certain extent what type of heat you use. I used to detail cars for a living and I can tell you definitely do not use infrared even if you could (I know you already said you can't). When detailing cars you don't want anything that will dry out the waxes and buffing compounds on the car. Basically the same reason you don't do this work out in the sun, the drying effects of direct sunlight make the job VERY difficult. I am not sure how any form of radiant (walls and ceilings) would react in this situation, but have a feeling it could cause similar issues? Most of the shops I worked in used some for of hot air heating and one shop had radiant floor warming with a Modine heater to make up the load. I don't know if this factors in at all, but typically detail/paint booths have a TON of lighting in them the walls are usually lined with lights the ceiling etc. The idea is to pack as much light in to be able to see scratches/swirls/imperfections. Almost any light gives off some amount of heat so I would think this factors into the load. Just wanted to pass along my experience as a user of these types of spaces.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Radiant and balanced ventilation with a good filter .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks to all. These are very good suggestions.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    What you are getting into is a very complex situation. Heat is usually supplied by air exchangers that filter out the paint spray mist and refresh the air. There are OSHA reg's. to consider. If you have an enclosed booth, you need a air exchanger to bring in fresh air and not asphyxiate the person doing the spraying. You also need the air exchangers to suck the dust and paint mist OUT, while bringing in fresh, dust free air. You don't want dust on the fresh paint.

http://www.paintboothtechnologies.com/products/air-makeup-units/

If someone is asking you to re-invent the wheel, it has already been invented.