Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unable to drain water from blow down

13»

Comments

• Kingkissel
    Kingkissel Member Posts: 40
    Quick question about the lwco probe: as I spin the nut, the threads spin as well. Took me a few minutes to realize it was taking a little longer than it should haha. I have some pliers and such to try and grab the threading but I don't want to mess it up which I think would happen. Any suggestions??
  • Kingkissel
    I figured it out. After scratching my head a few times and staring at the installation manual, I realized what I should actually be removing.
  • Kingkissel
    Hi everyone. So I hoped I would have finished up with maintenance over the weekend but I am having some trouble getting both the lwco probe off as well as the hoffman vent. I'm thinking the pipe dope is making things difficult as the drain I removed only used tape and that didn't give me much trouble. I got some PB Blaster and applied this to the doped threads with no luck. I also tried giving it a few slight taps with the wrench after applying the blaster. I may just not be using enough force because I am afraid of damaging something. If anyone has any suggestions it would be a huge help!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2014
    Hi, Kingkissel, Getting that Hoffman vent off shouldn't be any problem. It has a hex shape formed at the bottom of the vent. If you have an adjustable wrench or a small pipe wrench that fits on that, it should turn out fairly easily. Don't be afraid to put a little muscle behind the wrench. You won't hurt the vent.
    As far as the probe goes, maybe you can post a picture of what you are trying to remove. That too should not be very hard to get out. If you want to check to see if it's working without taking it out (until spring when you don't have to worry about the weather, drain the water out of the boiler (using that new drain valve you installed) to just below where that probe is mounted. When you have done that, turn the thermostat up several degrees and see if the boiler comes on. If it does not, the probe is working. While the thermostat is still set high, use your manual water feed and fill the boiler up above the level of the probe and the boiler should kick on. Shut the power off to the boiler and refill it back to the normal water level. Set your thermostat back to where you want it and you should be good to go.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Fred said:

KingKissel, you don't want a coupling, you want a 2 inch nipple. That is a short nipple in the top of the Tee that you need to take out and put the 2" nipple on. If you use a coupling, you will need to buy another 1inch or 2 inch nipple to screw into that coupling so that your Pressuretrol will screw onto it. I'd just go with one 2 inch nipple and replace the one that is in the Tee now.

Fred,

I was thinking he was leaving the close nipple on the vaporstat on. Maybe he couldn't or didn't want to remove it?

*shrug*

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542

Fred said:

KingKissel, you don't want a coupling, you want a 2 inch nipple. That is a short nipple in the top of the Tee that you need to take out and put the 2" nipple on. If you use a coupling, you will need to buy another 1inch or 2 inch nipple to screw into that coupling so that your Pressuretrol will screw onto it. I'd just go with one 2 inch nipple and replace the one that is in the Tee now.

Fred,

I was thinking he was leaving the close nipple on the vaporstat on. Maybe he couldn't or didn't want to remove it?

*shrug*

Yea, Thought about that too but then he would have to have both a coupling and another nipple. six of one, half dozen of the other. I just didn't want to confuse him but wanted him to get the Pressuretrol above the boiler so he could take it off when needed.