Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can i remove sections of this radiator?

Options
Spunky424
Spunky424 Member Posts: 82
edited December 2014 in Strictly Steam

This radiator is perfect height for the entrance of my house but its relatively large. Is it possible to remove a few sections of the radiator to lower the amount of heat output? I read a few other threads and says if the radiator is new its doable, im not sure how new this radiator style is but it has 4 total rods that hold it all together (2 on top, 2 on bottom). Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It can be done but how successfully is unknown until you get it back together and on the system to see if there will be any leaks. You will need to take the four rods off, make a couple wooden wedges that can be put between the sections and start to hammer the wedges in. The sections should come apart. You will need to take the end section off also as it will need to be reused as an end again so take one more section off of the radiator than you want, knowing you will be adding that end section bak on. The nipples between each section is metal (may be brass) so you will need to buy replacement nipples. Be careful not to damage the seats in the sections. The nipples come in a variety of sizes so you will need to measure the old ones to see what size you need. You will have to press those sections back together, with the new nipples. Some large clamps might work. But the four rods back in, draw them up tight and cut them to length after you have the nuts on them.
    From the looks of the pictures, it looks like you probably need a new spud on the bottom of that radiator for your supply valve to connect as well. you may need a spud tool to get turn that out as well or, if you are careful, you may be able to cut it out while you have that section off. Just be careful not to cut into the radiator threads.

If it were me, I think I'd store that radiator in case I need a replacement elsewhere in the house at some point in time, and I'd find a used radiator better sized for where you want to install it. Check out the "BUY, SELL, BARTER" Section on this ite. You may find exactly what you need near enough to you to get a good deal.
  • Spunky424
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. i was gonna pick these radiators up off craigslist as hes selling two for pretty cheap. and they seemed to be in excellent condition. i had hopes of turning the smaller one even smaller to serve the entrance way of our home but if its too much of a hassle i'll continue my search for the right radiator.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,748
    Options
    Are there any recyclers in your area? In the area I live there is a radiator guy on craigslist that sells them. He even gaurantees them for 1 year against leaks! I haven't dealt with him, but know people that have and I haven't heard any bad things. I seem to remember coming across something on this site that listed some radiator recyclers, but I can't find it right now. Anyone know what I am talking about?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Spunky424
    Options
    Im located in the NY Long island/NYC area if there is something like that around here i'd gladly reach out to them. the people on CL are charging a premium for some beat up radiators that need alot of work.
  • Spunky424
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So I just picked up a replacement radiator and wasnt paying attention to the connection ports. The valve spud connection is only 3/4" but my existing valve is 1-1/4". I've attached a photo. Is there a way to change out the connection to the radiator? Also looks like the vent was placed at the top port instead of the middle. I've tried to take out the screw placed in the middle vent port but no luck. Any help is appreciated.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    It looks as though the radiator bushing will need to be removed in order to put your new valve spud in there.
    The plug in the air vent tapping will also need some persuasion in the form of heat, and penetrating oil. Possibly, it will need to be drilled out.
    Give it a pressure test before doing all this work.--NBC
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Watch your height, chances are you will be required to replace the steam valve….do not get big box store one….the plug where the vent goes can be removed, sometimes with little effort and sometimes a lot of effort..Simply try this,,,file it down flat,take a ctr. punch and punch the ctr. take a #30 bit and step drill from there…Have a good brand easy out on hand….re tap it if you will with a tapered tap…Don’t use a bottoming tap…The easier thing to do may be to just drill and tap another port….Fyi with the right equipment, its no more than a 1 hr. job….
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Did I miss something? That WAS a hot water radiator. Until someone put a 1 1/2" plug in the other end. That radiator coil vent should come right out with care and get a new 1/2" plug. The one that needs to come out is the one above the 1 1/2" black plug. A well formed slotted head screw driver (not a beater one that is all rounded off) with a square drive, a long adjustable head wrench with a lot of body weight behind it, and not letting it slip, will get that little darling out and a nice new steam vent will pop right in like it grew there.

Dig the chunks out.
  • Spunky424
    Options
    Looking at other pictures I came to the same conclusion that this was once a hot water radiator but the previous owner said he used it for steam. Looks like I need to remove the existing bushing and get a 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" bushing to fit the 1-1/4" supply valve I have
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Yes. And you need to remove the slotted 1/8" plug on the opposite side below the vent and above the plug. If you're lucky, the peep's that installed them originally, worked in a shop where ALL those 1/8? plugs were to be removed before installation, cleaned out with a 1/8" NPT Tap, and Pipe Joint Compounded in to place. So they didn't leak later when it was difficult to get them out. That's where the steam vents usually go.

Like my old dead boss made us do.

That other bushing won't be a problem to get out. Do the sawzall/saw trick like explained numerous times here and it will come out right pronto, it will.