Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clean-out for wet return

HarryL
HarryL Member Posts: 59
When the boiler was installed, the installer didn't put a valve on the wet return to clean it out. It was installed about 10 years ago so I expect a fair amount of crud has accumulated. I was going to replace one of the elbows with a tee then a reducing 90 elbow and a valve, using closes on each connection, oriented out towards the space in front of the boiler. It looks to me that Elbow #1 would be the best location. First, I can get some pressure from the water in the boiler to flush, and second there is a union (out of the frame) directly above Elbow #1 in the picture. So, I'd only have to undo the union and Elbow #1. Am I missing something as to why the drain should be at Elbow #2, or elsewhere?

Thanks!
Home owner, 1927 2-story, single family
1 pipe Burnham IN4I, Boston area

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    #1 is fine. I'd use a tee with a plug on it though instead of a valve. Use plenty of tape and no need to completely crank down on the plug when you put it back. maybe one turn after hand tight. You only need to hold back a pound or two of pressure.
  • HarryL
    @Abracadabra, I like that idea, but why do you suggest just a T and plug instead of a valve? It is certainly less expensive. Would the 90 with a plug after the T be okay too? I am thinking the 90 will help me divert into a bucket more easily.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Sure, a 90 would be ok. I like using just a plug for cleanouts so I can jam a hose in there if i have to. I don't like reducing cleanout dimensions, they become less of a cleanout.
  • HarryL
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.