Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Object lesson in reading BEFORE posting (Ancient B&G valve)

Options
R2.0
R2.0 Member Posts: 99
So, in this thread I asked about replacing a FloControl valve with an air separator, and if anyone had any information about the old valve since I couldn't find any references. While the first part generated some, err, discussion, I didn't get anything on the second. Fast forward and I advise a poster where to look for info on this site, and later followed my own advice. Behold! From B&G's 1941 Catalog:

I apparently have an "A1 1/2" model. They changed the design a bit in the early 50's, per another document in the Museum, so it looks like my valve is original to the house. Unfortunately that means that there's likely no replacement parts available, and I know it needs work - the handle on top won't turn to override the valve and open it up. If some Kroil won't free it up I'll take it out, but I won't chuck it - I'll keep it around.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    It pays to wander off the Wall.
    Retired and loving it.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    The question as I remember it was never about trying to repair the valve and whatever the problems might have been. I would have never considered replacing the valve if it was working and would have worked to make it work. If the flow control lever is frozen, you carefully free the packing nut so it comes up. If the stem won't move, with care, they almost always come loose and then work. They don't stick down in the water, they stick because of corrosion around the stem.

If you go to drain a house for the winter and you find a flow valve that won't turn, you will have to get it to work or you will be responsible for a broken heating system in the Spring.

Some people want to make a small repair job into a big production.
  • R2.0
    Options
    You are right, I didn't think about repairing the valve until I looked at the problem again. Of I can get it to work - and thanks for the tip about loosening the gland - I'll just open it up and leave it until I figure out what to do with the rest of the system.

But I am curious - why would I drain the house for winter? But for repairs I don't want to drain it at all, do I?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I think he was making a general statement about what happens when you encounter that situation( like Snowbirds heading to Florida after Thanksgiving), you winterize the house.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Some New Englanders that own coastal vacation homes are actually Snow Bunnies and go North for winter activities.
  • R2.0
    Options
    icesailor said:

Some New Englanders that own coastal vacation homes are actually Snow Bunnies and go North for winter activities.

Not just New Englanders. parents have a cabin in NE PA that gets a lot of use in winter for hunting. There's a written checklist for "Arrival" and "Departure", most of which involves draining the domestic water system. Biggest issue we've had is people not doing the startup steps in exact order and turning on the electric HW heater before the system is filled. I think we are up to 3 element replacements in 10 years.
  • R2.0
    Options
    Update - put some Kroil on it and let it sit for a week. Wouldn't budge. Loosened the gland nut about a half turn, and the lever broke loose. Shaft was shiny and dry as a bone - I doubt it's ever been operated. So I have it open and am going to see if it does anything for the flow. Probably not, but at least it will yake it out of the equation.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Burned up water heater elements:

It is wise when draining houses for the cold seasons, to physically open the service switch for electric water heaters, and NEVER use a circuit breaker as the source for turning the water heater off. If it blew an element when someone came to turn on the water, there isn't a service switch at the water heater that was shut of, or one to use. Put a piece of tape on the service switch so that someone has to intentionally turn on the switch before filling it with water.

People come in to a hose and flip every breaker in the panel ON. They hear the water pump running, and wait for the water to come. When they notice it coming out of the faucets (or not, I always blew out with air and left the systems charged with air), the shut of the main and leave. Filling the system with water and it freezes and breaks. No one says a word. You go in the spring and you meet the disaster. You/I must nave FU'ed up when you drained it. No, the Real Estate Agent has been in here multiple times showing the property for a $30,000+ per month summer rental. I've been draining this house for you for over 20 years. Have you ever had a broken pipe?

People are like little children where you have to put those cabinet locks on cabinet doors to keep the little kiddo's from harming themselves. In the Fall, when draining houses. I always had a roll of red electrical tape to put on essential or critical circuit breakers. I pulled the Firomatics on every oil burner. I shut off all gas valves to boilers and such. I found a dead boiler once where the Latino cleaning girls thought that because the water wasn't on, you could just flip the switch on the boiler and the water would flow. They heard the burner start. They cleaned as much as they could but finally left when the water didn't start running. That sucker must have really glowed for a while.

Then, they deny they ever did it.
  • R2.0
    Options
    The cabin was something of a bodge - original owners bought it as a shell and "fixed it up." Good Lord, what a mess. Clear pine T&G panelling - face nailed. Bathroom tile neither square nor centered to ANY wall. And no local disconnect for the water heater. We finally installed a fused disconnect of the type that pulled out and can be reinserted upside down. Only the fused gets pulled and placed on the kitchen table.
  • icesailor
    Options
    After 50 years of draining and turning the water back on in vacation houses, I promise you that the elements will be blown. Especially if they drain it themselves.

With water heaters in problematic houses, where the precious wonders came down on vacations for some fun in the shade and the sack, I pulled the wires out of the water heater connection on the top of the tank, left the wires separated and wire nutted with Yellow Scotch Locks, and the red ones sitting on top of the water heater for me in the spring. There's something about Junior, the precious wonder, wanting to show off his cave manly skills and turning the water on the house. But in no way will Junior endanger life and limb playing with wires.