Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flow control valve

Options
steamfitter
steamfitter Member Posts: 156
If a flow valve is installed on a vertical hot water line, what problems can occur? According to the B & G piping details, flow control valves should be on horizontal piping. At a friends home he has three zones on a radiant hw heating system with three circulators, each with a flow control valve on the discharge side of the circulator. Two are install in the horizontal piping, but the other is on the vertical piping because of a tight space where it breaks out of the boiler room. Is it worth re-piping?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I can only state the obvious.....They must be installed per manufacturers instruction. There are different piping configurations for different flow controls.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If what you are talking about is a flow valve like a B&G SA-1 1/4", I never knew that they were supposed to be installed ONLY with a horizontal flow, but I have no idea the number of installations (including my own) where the valve was used as a Tee. with the vertical pipe from the boiler going in to the bottom and the horizontal coming out the end with the arrow. There is even a split arrow embossed on the side of the valve body showing the valve can be piped either way but the valve itself must be installed in a horizontal plane.

The weighted disk inside the valve must be able to drop down by gravity.