Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

threadolet job for welder, or just drill & tap a hole?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited November 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
To add a Gorton #2 main vent to a steam return pipe, I need to somehow put a 1/2" threaded hole in it. The existing hole on a 90 degree elbow is only 1/4" and does not provide enough venting with its Gorton #1 screwed into a 3/8" adapter.

Is it safe to just drill (with some special bit?) & tap (hand-turn a threading tap device) and mount a Gorton #2 on a nipple directly to the 2" pipe, or do I need a pipe welder to add a "threadolet" for added stability and safety? Or should the vent be mounted on a T and welded in place? Any good pipe welder in northern/central NJ for such a job?

Comments

• johnlobb
    johnlobb Member Posts: 23
    Options
    As a long time pipewelder and steamfitter, a welded threadolet is much safer. Call your local pipefitter/steamfitter union for a competent welder.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    According to Gerry Gill's data, an open 1/4" pipe vents faster than a Gorton #2, so you may want to try with another adapter before you drill a new hole.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did Gill & Pajek say this in their Balancing Steam Systems book? I definitely need to buy it if so. If they're right, the bottleneck is not the 1/4" hole in my main pipe but the Gorton #1 I've mounted on a 3/8" adapter to it. By this reasoning, if I can adapt a Gorton #2 to it, I could vent faster without having to drill a larger hole. It's hard to believe but cheap enough to test. Thanks for the idea.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't see data for 1/4" open pipe in their book. I do see 1/8" and 1/2". If I had to guess, I'd say 1/4" would vent a bit over 3cfm at 3oz. open 1/8" vents at 2.5. a gorton #2 vents at 2.2

for flexibility in venting I'd weld a 3/4" nipple onto an appropriate hole on the main and reduce it down if you had to. With the pressures we are talking about for steam, a threadolet isn't really needed. I've just done a saddle cut on a nipple and welded it directly to the main.

Not my picture, but just an example.