Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skim Port Question

Options
nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
Hi, I have two questions. Whats the size of this close plug? Two inches? I have some oil in my boiler that I can see from the sight glass. The water does not surge or jump up and down. I want to build a skim port like how Gerry Gill has it on you tube. What other parts would I need other than the nipple, i want to connect it garden hose so i can drain it in the basin.

Second question, if the water isn't surging, is it even worth to skim it?

As always, thanks for the help.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It is probably 1.5 inches but I doubt that you will be able to get that plug out without breaking someting unless you take the entire plate off and take it to a bench. If you do that you may break at least one of those bolts off and have to drill it out and you will need a new gasket for the plate. If, by chance you can get the plug out, you will need a nipple, a full port ball valve and a threaded brass plug to put in the valve when the port isn't in use so that no one accidently opens that valve when the boiler is producing steam.
  • nycpa
    Options
    Thanks, maybe better to leave it alone, whats the second best way to rid the oil? Full flush and refill a few times?
  • Fred
    Options
    I don't know what boiler you have but if the pressure relief valve is mounted on the side or rear, you can take that valve off fairly easily. That is the tapping I use to skim my boiler but it has to be a side mount. Top Mount won't work. I took the Pressure Relief Valve off, put a 3/4" Tee on there and mounted the Pressure Relief Valve on the top of the Tee and put a 3/4" threaded plug on the end of the Tee. When I need to skim, I just take the plug out, screw a 6" nipple into the Tee, with a full port valve and you're good to start skimming. You won't get rid of oils by flushing and refilling. Has to be a slow skim
    Tolik
  • nycpa
    Options
    I have a weil McClain, pressure relief valve is on top rear, would there be a spare tapping on the top side of boiler I can use or can I open the pressure relief valve and siphon the top with like an aquarium siphon, stick a tube in and suck out
  • Fred
    Options
    I doubt thata a siphon will be effective at skimming oil off the surface of the water. No way to really keep the siphon tube right on the surface. If it were me, I'd try to scrap as much of the dope off of that plug and soak it with a penetrating oil for a couple days and see if it will turn. That plate is only about 3/8 inch thick so you may get lucky. If you don't have any significant bounce in the water in the sight glass, you are probably fine to wait until spring but at some point, you will probably have some pipe work done that will put oils in the boiler water and need to be skimmed.
  • Bug512
    Bug512 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Is there another plug located on the boiler? Maybe you need to remove one of the side covers or look at the owners manual to see if there are any additional plugs that can be removed.

Then you can add a skim port / fill port. Here is a picture of mine for reference.

Crown BSI 138 Natural Gas Steam Boiler
    Gene in Northern NJ
    NJ HVACR License 19HC00537600
  • nycpa
    Options
    Thanks for the pic and comments