Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol failure?

2»

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    You could clock the gas valve and then calculate the BTU input you are firing at. Then just need the efficiency of the boiler. Of course if you know what year it is maybe find the same year dunkirk manual and go by that, not perfect but should be close.
    http://www.aprsupply.com/support/technical-support/checking-firing-rate-(clocking-meter)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DuggieFresh5
    DuggieFresh5 Member Posts: 48
    I reached out to Dunkirk via their website and received a .pdf of my manual in one business day. Fantastic! Thank you Dunkirk.

I now know that my boiler is rated for 479 sq ft of radiation. I calculated 318 EDR, so I am about 33% over sized.
  • KC_Jones
    edited November 2014
    You are more like 50% over sized not 33%. 479-318=161 161/318=.506 .506*100=50.6%. Sounds pretty typical, my old one was 47% over sized. Tons of people on here in the same boat. I wouldn't obsess about it just deal and try and tune it in the best you can. Nice to have the manual though! That's good service from Dunkirk for sure!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • DuggieFresh5
    KC - can you explain the front part of your equation? I assumed 318 (actual EDR) / 479 (capacity).

I love reading manuals -- especially when they de-mystify a tool or appliance.
  • KC_Jones
    The percent oversize is a function of the difference between the 2 numbers. So you boiler is 50% bigger than the calculated EDR. 161 is almost exactly 50% of 318. Another way to look at it is if you multiply 318*1.5 (150%) you get the 479. Make sense? It's just numbers I was just presenting where you are it's good to know how over sized you are, but doesn't help a whole lot with your tuning. It is good to know if you ever replace the boiler. File those numbers away for when that day comes.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • DuggieFresh5
    Thanks, the math wasn't intuitive at first, but I see where you are coming from now.

Incidentally I want to add more radiation to the house. There are a couple of baseboard heaters (particularly "the world's longest steam baseboard heater" - a 12 footer and no it doesn't work very well) I would like to replace in the long run. This information will help me plan accordingly.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Any chance you could split it in the middle and create two six footers out of it?
  • DuggieFresh5
    I think so. There are clearly 4 sections, so I'm certain there is a mechanical connection. The funny thing is, there is a wall perpendicular to the base and the radiator actually heats two rooms.

Getting that radiator out will likely require at least a partial demo of some drywall and closet space in the kitchen. Bizarre! Clearly it was more important to save money than to make sure the system would work properly when the work was done.

It will likely have to wait until an eventual kitchen remodel.