Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Possible new section on the wall?

Options
KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
Discussed this idea with one of the other homeowners and wanted to throw it out to @DanHolohan as well as anyone else who had thoughts on the subject. We were thinking it might be a nice idea to have a "stop here first" section with some pinned posts of commonly asked questions. I hang out in steam mostly so some thoughts are EDR calculations, Venting etc. Just some of the hot topics that people seem to ask about over and over again. We could put some links to articles and "off the wall" items that apply to certain topics. This is something I have seen on other forums so I thought I would throw the suggestion out. Dan would that even be possible? Does anybody have any thoughts or opinions on this?
2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Certainly putting strictly steam at the top of the list would help new people to post in the right area for once!--NBC
    MikeL_2
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Many forums I read have something called "Sticky" with basic comments that they want every new person to read before posting questions. Many questions are already answered there.

I have one called Bimmerfest for BMW owners. Once you read the "Sticky" posts, most any answer is already given. It helps cut down on the size of discussions. Not on traffic.

Oil Tech Talk has one too.
    MikeL_2
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The wall is packed full of info you just have to look. The problem is people want information with out putting much effort beyond asking a question and having it answered with out doing their own research. Wandering off the wall can educate you beyond your wildest dreams even if that was not your intent in looking for a specific answer to a question.

Sometimes sites can be over whelming with to many features. I think that's why most topics get posted on the main wall. In the end it all gets handled.
    RobG
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Personally I like the idea of locked pinned subjects for each section. Strictly steam could have a few threads that are pinned with common problems and being they are always at the top of the list it's the first person everyone sees.

For example,
    "Books and reading material every steam owner needs"
    "Banging pipes?"
    "What main vents and radiators vents should I buy?"
    "Should I rip my steam system out?"
    "Is my piping correct?"
    "Skimming and boiler cleaning"
    "Tips and tricks"
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    All of that is already on the site, Chris. It pays to wander off the Wall.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    @DanHolohan, I know the Systems Help Center very well and have done quite a bit of reading there. However I feel many new members miss it and come directly to The Wall and then post a new topic when they don't see it after a few seconds of skimming through threads.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Be great if they came in through the front door, Chris. It's one site.
    Retired and loving it.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    It's a google problem to me. It's not that they come straight to the wall, they are brought straight to the wall. If I google any number of steam problems google brings me directly to the wall and bypasses the "front" of the website. I am not complaining just thought this might help keep everyone from asking the same question over and over again and taking the pros time away from other more detailed problems. Even if it's just a sticky post directing people to the help center, that is something simple that sends them away for a while. Sort of like hey before you ask a question here go do some homework first.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Such as this?
    Retired and loving it.
    ChrisJ
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    As usual you are awesome! Best help site on the net by far!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    ChrisJ
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    A bit of tinkering with keywords and modification dates might help bring the articles higher up in the search rankings.