Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

which way is correct or better?

heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
I almost done my new zone. I found I am piping as the A option on the attached diagram. But I think the B option make more sense. Do I need to correct it? I am using 007 circulator not the zone valve for each zone.
pipe.jpg 130.1K

Comments

• Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Very important... what are you using for heaters?
  • heatingFun
    cast iron baseboard #9
  • heatingFun
    how bad it is? does it heat better as long as the pump is strong enough to push the water travel longer distance?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    As far as I can see, both are versions of a parallel reverse return which is correct piping and will give you equal flow pressures to the emitters. "First out, last back" where as a direct return is "First out, first back".

I've always found it difficult to install a PRR like you have drawn and the actual application has a place at the end where there are three pipes. Its easy if you can do it like you show and go around in a square. I usually had to leave pipes out of one side.

In one drawing, you show some sort of dead end by the supposed boiler. You shouldn't need anything like that. Or, I'm misreading something.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    They both look fine to me as well. The only thing with that piping system, is the boiler will not receive any warm return temps until the cast iron is warm, as opposed to a monoflow or venturi system.

If you have a condensing boiler it will love it, but a cast iron boiler, may need protection from cold return water.
  • heatingFun
    edited November 2014
    Yes, but water will flow longer distance in option A. That is my concern. My boiler is Burnham Alpine gas boiler. I think it is a condensing boiler.