Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pitching Steam Radiators

Options
I'm feeling pretty triumphant today now that I've gotten all eight of the cast iron radiators from my house back into their respective rooms, after they spent a lovely summer and fall sunning themselves in my backyard while we gutted the place. I seem to have read a lot of good wisdom about pitching radiators to avoid water hammer. My question is, do I pitch every radiator? If yes, then how much, and with what?

Do I follow the 1" per 10 feet rule, like with a counterflow main? That only amounts to about 1/8" for my rads.

As for the material, I've got some spare heart pine from floor patching that I could rip down into shims, but I worry about it cracking. Alternatively, I could cut some thin pucks from 1" white Delrin round or a similar hard plastic that would probably be fine with the heat and the pressure, and match the white gloss enamel I painted the rads with. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    You need just a little pitch for the water to find it's way out, sometimes a quarter is enough. Make sure the pitch on all the piping under the floor is good before doing anything with radiator pitch.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Use a level, and don't forget inflation, as you may need 2 quarters under each leg!--NBC