Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

terms in a hot water heating system and help needed on wiring

heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
I am trying to figure out how to use the Taco SR504-exp-4 Switching Relay with my Alpine 105 gas boiler due to the changing from one zone to 3 zones. I am not very clear some terms on the instructions. Please help me. My system doesn't have a hot water sub-system attached. It is a winter water heating only system.

System pump ---- the pump for individual heating zone.
DHW pump ---- the pump for the hot water sub-system(for shower, kitchen, not for the winter water heating system)
Boilder pump ---- the pump close to the boiler and help the water circulating to the boiler
Primary pump ---- the boiler pump?
Priority ---- for DHW only?

For the wiring, I have modified a sample wiring diagram coming with the Burnham Alpine 105 boiler installation manual. Please help me wire it right. The one with red lines is my wiring plan.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    Will your system utilize outdoor reset and what temp do you intend to store DHW in the tank and what sensor are you using ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • heatingFun
    there is a outdoor sensor installed. there is no DHW tank attached to the system. we use a separated electrical hot water tank for shower.
  • Rich_49
    Your drawing will work . Make sure to jumper the priority zone if your are not using it . Let the boiler turn the boiler pump on and off and the Sr will do the rest .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • heatingFun
    edited November 2014
    Do I still need to connect the system circulator output from boiler to the ZC on the SR504-exp-4 switching relay, like the one on the sample wiring diagram? I updated the diagram with blue lines. It is better now?

• Rich_49
    Could you draw how the near boiler piping will be done ? The boiler circulator should be on whenever the boiler is on , Your system circulators are the 3 pumps wired to the SR control . That should be all you need if in fact there are 4 pumps total connected to this system . No need for any blue lines whatsoever unless I am missing something .
    732-751-1560
  • heatingFun
    It is exactly the same as this:
  • Rich_49
    There ya go . No blue lines , just let the boiler turn on the boiler circ and let the SR control do the rest .
    732-751-1560
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    I agree with Rich. Unless your boiler is heating your potable hot water also, the blue lines drawn are not needed.