Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In a bind!! any advice appreciated.

delta T
delta T Member Posts: 884
Hello all, I am currently involved in a smallish project that is turning into a nightmare. My part is a small undergound plumbing rough in, but now I have to solve a problem with fuel oil lines. Tons of oil lines all over the place where we need to dig the new septic system and I need to temporarily move them out of the way in order for the septic guys to be able to dig the septic system. As luck would have it, all of my suppliers are out of 1/2" copper tubing, so my question is what else could I use temporarily until I can put copper back. Pex? fusion PE? would up sizing my Copper be a problem? We don't have many oil systems here in CO and I am not very familiar with anything other than the principle of their operation. Also, all the connected appliances (one boiler, one water heater, and one furnace) have an oil return line. My research indicates that this is an old way of ensuring constant oil supply and is no longer done. Is this true? would changing the type of system used (i.e. getting rid of the return line) require new burner assemblies? My main concern is whether or not I can use anything on a temporary basis other than copper. Copper would be put back by tuesday next week. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited November 2014
    Tons of oil lines?...No suppliers with copper, and they cant rush some to you? While you were online posting you could've ordered it. And you're going to need fittings.
    Arent the oil lines going to an underground tank?
    Why is it your problem (the oil lines)?
    The only thing I can recommend is that they get their oil company involved. You start yanking oil lines out and who knows what damage you will do to the tank, the equipment or how much fuel will be leaked/spilled
    You really cant put in a much bigger oil line. And if you do change to a one pipe system and don't remove the bypass plugs, or install Tiger Loops (better) you blow the seals out of the pumps faster then it took you to read this last sentence.
    On second thought, even though I still recommend you hand off this task that you are not qualified to tackle, why not ask the oil company to bring out a 275 gallon tank, or even some 55 gallon drums. Put them next to the house, and out of the way, and hook up the appliances.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    Here's a hint or advice . 1 quart of oil in the ground will cost you between 250 and 350 thousand to clean up should the spill be discovered .
    Let the oil company handle it and leave yourself out of that possible Fiasco .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    icesailorRobG
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Rich said:

Here's a hint or advice . 1 quart of oil in the ground will cost you between 250 and 350 thousand to clean up should the spill be discovered .
    Let the oil company handle it and leave yourself out of that possible Fiasco .

ABSOUFLUCKINGY LUTLY.

You might even need a haz-mat team company in site while you move the lines.

If you have liability insurance, run it by your agent to see of you are covered for this type of work and what it will cost for a temporary upgrade in your policy.

It isn't only Colorado, its EPA too.
  • delta T
    Thanks for the tips guys, job site is way out in the boonies, could not get anyone to deliver anything and no one had any in stock until today anyways. Did find some copper though finally, got it back together, primed and fired. Late night! Getting the regular guy who works on these oil boilers up here tomorrow to check the boiler out and make sure all is well. Yes buried tank but becuase of where the break was, (higher than the tank) there was little to no spillage. Oil company would not come up until next week. The family has a small newborn and needed heat and hot water. This job is a mountain house and the previous owners did some crazy stuff. in total, ended up finding the main direct burial electrical service, three water supplies, three AC line sets, (two of which were abandonded), four oil lines (one of which was abandoned), cable, telephone, and a 2" waste line all buried within a foot of each other in the same ditch and exactly in the only place that the new septic line could go. All this stuff was located but with all the lines so close and touching the locater just told us that everything was right there where we needed to dig.

Thanks you guys, wish I new as much about oil as I do about gas and LP heating! we used to work on oil systems, but stopped when I was about twelve, so I really don't have a whole lot of real experience with it, and of course this all happens while my father is lounging on the beach in Mexico for a week! Next time I will know better and hand it off with out hesitation!
  • icesailor
    Its all the same. When you give it proper ignition under the right circumstances, it goes BOOOOOM!!!!!!.

Don't be in the way.
  • delta T
    Ha! Yep I suppose that is the best way to look at it. Learning quickly about oil the past couple days. Need to read up more on it so I am not caught with my pants down again like that. Any suggestions on good reading material specific to oil? I have a lot of general hydronics/steam stuff (LAOSH, Siggy's textbook, etc.) but nothing about oil systems. Kind of embarassing really, been doing heating since I could walk. Guess if I grew up out east I would know!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Not worth the risk. Try to get a pro on it. May be time for someone to upgrade to an above ground tank, and eliminate the returns
  • icesailor
    EPA has a very dim view of UST's. Insurance companies have an even dimmer view. Often, some earthy states are even worse.

Some insurance companies won't cover you if you have an active or abandoned UST.
  • delta T
    Thats good to know, I'll pass that on to the homeowner. I kind of figured that a buried tank was bad, whats even worse at this place is that the guy who built the house put the oil tank under the garage, and get this, next to the cistern for the well. Current owner is going to try and get gas in next year so all this will be a moot point after that, (except for the buried tank), but until then.....