Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner issues - wont re-fire

2»

Comments

• Nedly
    Nedly Member Posts: 22
    Suppose I turned down both of the limits as far as they go and it still fired up and ran until it hit 200+ overheating and powering down...

What would you say the issue is? That is essentially what I am facing here.. The aquastat I got was used, but it was tested by a cert. furnace parts dealer. It still has a return so if that is still the issue I can try another..
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    If the burner is running, the boiler temperature reads 160 degrees, and when you turn the "HI" down as low as it will go (to 100 degrees), if the burner doesn't stop, either the burner is wired wrong or the control is bad. The control from "a certified furnace parts dealer", was it new in a box that said "Tradeline" on it?

You can't always trust a "new" control in a new box. Some unscrupulous slugs have been known to pick up a new control to replace a bad one, put the bad control in the new box, and take the bad control in the new box for a credit. The supplier has no idea they have been duped. It is my experience that there is no level low enough for the sleazoids to sleeze someone.

There is no way better to get the angry juices flowing than to pick up a part that a supplier only carries one of, find the box taped up NOT from the factory, you open the box to check for contents, and all appears there. You then drive two hours to the job, get the part out, and find some key part missing that is the only reason you bought the control in the first place. Someone else needed the insignificant part. took the part, and returned the part, missing the small part, for credit.

You really need to pay a professional to figure this out. As I remember, back a few years ago, there was a strange glitch in that control.