Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why are my water levels jumping this much?

Options
agurkas
agurkas Member Posts: 238
So we know already that my boiler is overfired for the load it needs to handle. We also know that my headers need to insulated. I should be done with that this week.

Next problem: I have a party going on in my boiler, because those water levels are sure dancing.
See the video. This is actually not even as bad as it usually is. Often the water level in that tube changes 2-3 inches. Actually that one problematic radiator I have, the gurgling is heard in it. Something is not right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6292455/2014-11-03 12.40.46.mp4

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    Has the boiler been skimmed? Are you sure the wet returns are well below the boiler water line?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,748
    Options
    Honestly that doesn't look bad to me. If you are getting 2-3 inches of bounce that is excessive. A little bouncing is normal, think about a pot of boiling water it can get pretty violent. Oil can cause excessive bouncing as can slow returns and bad near boiler piping sucking the water out. Piping sucks water out then a slug of condensate returns....up and down up and down. The only bounce you should have is from the boiling action....for the most part. Here is a nice video showing inside and outside of a boiler in action. You can see how that bounce looks minor compared to what is going on inside.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG0M9wPDnzY
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • agurkas
    Options
    BobC said:

Has the boiler been skimmed? Are you sure the wet returns are well below the boiler water line?

Bob

Boiler is 10-12 years old. Has it been skimmed? Honestly, doubt it. Previous owner really did not give infrastructure of the house any love and probably was one of the hated customers, who only picks the cheapest option.

Wet return is "borderline" as one of the contractors told me.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    There have been a lot of posts on this site over the past month about crazy water levels. Your boiler needs one or more good skims and you'll see much improvement. What specifically did the contractor mean when he told you the wet return was "borderline"? If what he said makes sense, that should be addressed also.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,748
    Options
    To be more specific did he mean borderline on pipe size, pitch or condition (getting clogged)?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • agurkas
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

To be more specific did he mean borderline on pipe size, pitch or condition (getting clogged)?

It was a remark from a contractor, who wanted to do major overhaul (I really don't have a budget for that). He mentioned something about water line and some of the piping around the boiler, including the return, that goes under the cement basement floor and then up into boiler, being "borderline" on how it should be piped. But that is not the main and return I am having issues with. One he had no comments about is one that has most problems.